36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Torchie. It's nice to hear that from a master.
I've made a foam squasher, a round plastic lid and a hold-down nut. The nut is a round piece of tin with 3" of pipe welded to the bottom and the pipe bottom is tapped with a half inch coarse tap. That whole gizmo screws onto the end of the main centre bolt coming up through the floor.
Pic 1 painted wheel wrench and jack.
pic 2 foam squashers
pic 3 lid on and buttoned up.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 31
Pic 1 is the spare tire hold down painted and replaced.
Pic 2 is the silicone patching I did on the rear window. It turns out that when you do the body work near a window, smooth on the outside is nice but not enough. The tin of the window frame has to be flat and smooth because glass is really, really flat and smooth. When I washed this area I found that water would seep in around the glass rubber and soak the cheapo cardboard upholstery, making it all wrinkled. Pretty soon only lightly stoned hippies will like my truck with wrinkly upholstery.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 19
In the event that you cannot get it sealed up, I would suggest gluing some heavy plastic to the door prior to putting the door panel back on! The concealed jack and tools is a great idea, you did a nice job!

Thanks Dirtyrat, putting plastic behind the upholstery is a good idea; I just hadn't thought of it, yet. Boy, you can't get that cardboard stuff wet at all. Oh well, that ones done, and on to the next little gremlin, a water leak behind the heater.

Dirtyrat, is lauan kinda halfway between fibreglass and plastic? I have some of that just below the back window, behind the seats, and then covered with the rest of the seat material. There is only about 2&1/2" of the cardboard upholstery under the window that I worried about, but that was wrinkling.

Attachments

• '36right interior.jpg
    '36right interior.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 23
It is actually a plywood, just can be purchased in very thin sheet form.

Copy that. Luan is like the wood panelling from the 70's... without the fake grain and ridges. :p It's used extensively in RVs and your lumberyard should have it.

I worked for a boat manufacturer (some years ago) and we used some sort of green oil-based slime to treat wood. I don't remember the name of the stuff but it worked like it should...

Aha, that might be just the ticket, for some future upholstery. It probably bends quite a bit before breaking.
Dr. Crank, you know that you live in the middle of a great big prairie, don't you. All of those boats that you built had the bottoms dragged off them getting the thousand miles to the nearest water.:eek:

Thanks for the tip.

Dr. Crank, you know that you live in the middle of a great big prairie, don't you. All of those boats that you built had the bottoms dragged off them getting the thousand miles to the nearest water.:eek:

Funny guy. :p (I'm 30 minutes from the Qu'Appelle valley and its chain of lakes.)

Here's some foolishness for you Mac. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbV4zT_ZTY

Thank you Dr. Crank for the pirate song. Last summer, while camping my brains out, sitting along the Slave Lake, in the dark, around some strangers campfire, I listened to that very song and it stuck in my memory. See, we get cultured-up in the north too.
Now back to hotrods. I have been fiddling around a bit on making a small transmission to put in my speedometer cable because it runs a way too slow. But today I was in town crying to a hotrod partsman about my slow building and he said 'buy an electronic sender/receiver with calibrator and be done with it'. I did.

Thank you Dr. Crank for the pirate song. Last summer, while camping my brains out, sitting along the Slave Lake, in the dark, around some strangers campfire, I listened to that very song and it stuck in my memory. See, we get cultured-up in the north too.
Now back to hotrods. I have been fiddling around a bit on making a small transmission to put in my speedometer cable because it runs a way too slow. But today I was in town crying to a hotrod partsman about my slow building and he said 'buy an electronic sender/receiver with calibrator and be done with it'. I did.

Any info on what you bought? I could use one and I'm a fellow Albertan! Help a brother out? ;)

Snopro, I was at Napa when I was whin------researching speedo solutions. This one partsman who has a special interest in hotrods showed me pictures of two different gizmos. When I guessed at the price 3-400 dollars, he said no, no $30, [right before my eyes flashed Princess Auto, Power fist or Walmart], so I said no. He immediately showed me one for about seventy dollars, so I nodded to that one. When it comes in I will have the bill and the name of the company that sells it. It consists of a sender that fits into the transmission and receiver unit that, hopefully, can be made to fit onto your speedometer head. I'm not sure whether you have to crawl under you truck every time you want to recalibrate or you have to crawl under your dash. I will know a way more in a few days.

Snopro, I was at Napa when I was whin------researching speedo solutions. This one partsman who has a special interest in hotrods showed me pictures of two different gizmos. When I guessed at the price 3-400 dollars, he said no, no $30, [right before my eyes flashed Princess Auto, Power fist or Walmart], so I said no. He immediately showed me one for about seventy dollars, so I nodded to that one. When it comes in I will have the bill and the name of the company that sells it. It consists of a sender that fits into the transmission and receiver unit that, hopefully, can be made to fit onto your speedometer head. I'm not sure whether you have to crawl under you truck every time you want to recalibrate or you have to crawl under your dash. I will know a way more in a few days.

Thanks for the info. I'm interested to find out who makes it and what it is/how well it works. I need something for one of my vehicles, this may or may not be it.

My hotrod building progress has been minimal--------unless you can count researching. Aha.
Snopro, I was at Napa again today to see if my speedo gizmo was in, [not that lucky, me] so to ward off more tears I asked the partsman for the name of the electronic toy.
It is an Auto Meter 5292 Hall Effect Speedometer Sender.
According to the partsman I'll be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

My reply is sorta on this point ... There is a guy in town that uses an app on his cell phone as a speedo .....

Oldog

Snopro, I was at Napa again today to see if my speedo gizmo was in, [not that lucky, me] so to ward off more tears I asked the partsman for the name of the electronic toy.
It is an Auto Meter 5292 Hall Effect Speedometer Sender.
According to the partsman I'll be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

Thanks MM, that won't work for me as that's just the electronic sender to work with Autometer gauges. Oh well, hope it works for you!

Oh no Snopro, now you've got me all sweaty. I've got a stock '36 Ford speedometer head that I want to drive, accurately. When I ordered this electronic marvel it looked like there were two distinct pieces, a sender and a receiver, and the partsman was a way more confident that it was the thing for me, than I was. The theme of my truck is to end up looking quite 'nearly stock--only mildly hotrodded', but cheat like heck where it's hidden.
I'm hoping for something that will work for you, Snopro,-----and for me.
Oddrods, my phone is just a phone, not like some guys' cellphones that can do anything. The wife has a GPS for when we travel, and I'm going to use it to help calibrate my new speedo gizmo, but I'm not using the GPS all the time when I have a perfectly good looking '36ish speedometer.

Oh no Snopro, now you've got me all sweaty. I've got a stock '36 Ford speedometer head that I want to drive, accurately. When I ordered this electronic marvel it looked like there were two distinct pieces, a sender and a receiver, and the partsman was a way more confident that it was the thing for me, than I was. The theme of my truck is to end up looking quite 'nearly stock--only mildly hotrodded', but cheat like heck where it's hidden.
I'm hoping for something that will work for you, Snopro,-----and for me.
Oddrods, my phone is just a phone, not like some guys' cellphones that can do anything. The wife has a GPS for when we travel, and I'm going to use it to help calibrate my new speedo gizmo, but I'm not using the GPS all the time when I have a perfectly good looking '36ish speedometer.

I don't know that I've made a man sweaty before, it's a little disturbing :eek:

I've looked into this in the past, and there was nothing that could do what we're hoping for--> converting from mechanical to an electronic signal at the transmission, then back to a mechanical output at the speedometer. I think the best thing for you is a speedometer cable with a custom mechanical gear reducer to correct your speedometer. Hopefully you can find a speedometer cable that has the right ends for you. Either that our you can take an autometer gauge and put the workings in your '36ish speedometer, then you would be able to use the unit he ordered. Unless he knows of some fancy new product, but just the item you mentioned earlier won't do it. I hope that all helps.

Latest posts

Back