Hercules

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazing as always ZZ. It must have taken a lot of patience to get it that consistently round.

Thanks! Yes, it took patience to make that lumpy glob round, no power tools, just a couple coarse rasps and some 40 and 120 grit. If I decide later that it's too thick, I can always shave it down some more - or not....

I like a fat wheel. But the Chevelle wheel I have has a thin grip I’ve come to like with my power steering.
How will the filler stand up to body oils? Did you seal it with clear or something?

I like a fat wheel. But the Chevelle wheel I have has a thin grip I’ve come to like with my power steering.
How will the filler stand up to body oils? Did you seal it with clear or something?

No clear coat, I didn't want it to be too slick, I guess my greasy paws will eventually do that. It seemed to suck up the Rustoleum paint fairly well, though since it's no hi-tech finish, it would be easy to redo....

Any particular reason for switching to shortstrand bondo?

Long strand is tougher to get smooth, thought it would be tough to work into the form without voids. I really don't think cracking will be a problem, like on old factory wheels which were larger, made from unreinforced plastic and had very thin steel rims.

I needed a place to stash the groceries or cooler, etc. so I got busy with some pine shelf panels to make a box. Spotted an old dynamite box at a mining museum - Hercules Dynamite! Perfect! Bought one on ebay and incorporated the side panels into my new drybox, added some stain and satin clear, brass trim pieces and star head tacks to cover the screws. A little velcro on the underside keeps it in place on the carpet. Looks right at home ... :):cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20230125_142839.jpg
    20230125_142839.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230125_142849.jpg
    20230125_142849.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 48
Thanks! The top and bottom pieces are just 2' x 3' pine shelf panels, sides are made from other panels, cut to size, all the corner and trim pieces are 2" wide strips also cut from those panels. No gluing, just all put together with 1 1/4" drywall screws, the star head tacks hide them. No fancy tools, just a table saw, tape measure, hammer and screwdriver.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20230126_114030.jpg
    20230126_114030.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230126_114049.jpg
    20230126_114049.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 63

Latest posts

Back