headlight restore review

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy

Motor mouth ratchet jaw!
WIPE NEW Headlight restore $10
i bought this at walmart this morning because the protective layer on my 13 year old headlights was peeling and yellow
everytime i looked at them i thought
jeeze those things are trashed
this kit comes with a
2000 and 3000 grit sanding pad (very small)
microfiber cloth
nitrile gloves
and a packet with a cloth saturated with some kind of stinky clearcoat

as a professional window washer i am good with a NEW razor blade in a scraper
first i washed the lens then added some soap to it and carefully removed the old layer of protective film (way faster than sanding it off)
then i used some 1600 grit paper i had laying around then the 2000 then the 3000
keeping everything wet with a spray bottle
i spent about an hour total scraping and sanding
then i wiped the lenses with rubbing alcohol soaked paper towels to remove any contaminates
dried them and applied the clear coat pad with only ONE pass
i think they turned out pretty darn good.
verdict
i think it was worth 10 bucks and it for sure worked.
BTW i quickly put the clearcoat pad back in it's bag and right away stuck it in a zip-lock so it wouldnt dry out
if a guy hurried i bet he could treat 10 sets of lenses with it.

as with so many things
the prep is the most important
and with the amount of work i put into it and the attention to detail
any kind of clear coat would do the trick.
the key for me was removing the old protectant layer
thats where the razor scraper came in
ya gotta be careful use a brand new blade and use plenty of soapy water or you will scratch the bejabbers out of your lenses

?'s about 2004 chry.

does 2004 chry. town and country have protection coat on the head lights. mine look like thousand of little rock have dented thank you robert akers[S[S[S[S[S[S

does 2004 chry. town and country have protection coat on the head lights. mine look like thousand of little rock have dented thank you robert akers[S[S[S[S[S[S

I don't know about your lights
But from the pitting I would think a few hours with very fine wet sandpaper would do the trick
Sometimes it is hard to find the super fine grit paper
Especially 2000-3000

there are a myriad of things for headlight resto on this new stuff..

a good cut and polish even by hand works well.

toothpaste yes ! and a minty smell ..

I raided this missus cleaning product storage area , and used a good quality light abrasive bathroom cleaner ,, for the rice rocket -- 6 months later the yellow still hasn't come back..

a good brass or silver polish is also very good.. ten minutes on the end of rag or 2..

Crate

Last edited:
deep woods off and old sock or washcloth works wonders. Soak washcloth or sock and just rub into headlight. you might be surprised. Also there's a trick with acetone and an extremely fast wipe but your on your own on that one I don't want to be responsible for you melting your plastic lenses

the vast majority of plastic headlamp bezels

have a clear coat layer....for protection...problem is it hazes....that's why fine sanding and buffing fixes it.....not sure what the chemical stuff does exactly but I hear it has linseed oil in it....heard that people have left rags soaked with that crap in their cars and it spontaneously ignited...haven't checked snopes on that one....but I do know that a clear coat is put on the lens.....for what it's worth..

a buddy of mine goes to o'reillys and gets the cherry hand cleaner. it has really fine pumice. puts a dab on a rag and starts rubbing. when he gets them where he wants them, he gets out the clear packaging tape and covers the lense. he moves a lot of cars and i don't believe i have heard anybody complain.

Latest posts

Back