I'm sure it's on here somewhere......

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torchie

But I'm too lazy to look.:D
Anybody out there mig welding stainless steel and if so what are you using for gas? A tri mix or just 75/25 mix.
Looking towards the possibility of making a grill for the project. I will be welding fairly narrow stainless rod.
Thanks as always.
Torchie.

Tig is generaly staight argon and mig is tri mix of co2 argon and helium. I can't remember the percentages and the sticker on my bottle is no longer readable. with mig it seems to give a nicer looking weld or at least it does for me. hope this helps

Straight Argon for me

Tig is generaly staight argon and mig is tri mix of co2 argon and helium. I can't remember the percentages and the sticker on my bottle is no longer readable. with mig it seems to give a nicer looking weld or at least it does for me. hope this helps[/QUOTE

Thanks for the replies.
I have been reading where people are just using their mig co2/argon mix. They claim that it works. Just a little more splatter which maqy not be an issue with what I am doing. Mostly just going to be tacking in the rods.
Any thoughts?
Torchie.

I have been reading where people are just using their mig co2/argon mix. They claim that it works. Just a little more splatter which maqy not be an issue with what I am doing. Mostly just going to be tacking in the rods.
Any thoughts?
Torchie.

I believe zzrodder does. (Hopefully, he'll chime in.)

I've never built a grille, but I have (in a pinch) burned stainless with common steel wire and 75/25. It spatters but some anti-spatter spray helps considerably. (In its absence, cooking spray - Pam TM).

I've never built a grille, but I have (in a pinch) burned stainless with common steel wire and 75/25. It spatters but some anti-spatter spray helps considerably. (In its absence, cooking spray - Pam TM).

I was hoping he would as well Dr but i think that he is too busy sunning himself in Fla.:D

75/25 works OK.
No need to buy Argon if 75/25 is all you have.
I just happen to use straight Argon myself

Cool. Thanks OI. Anytime I don't have to spend more $$$$ is a good thing.:D
Torchie.

I was hoping he would as well Dr but i think that he is too busy sunning himself in Fla.:D

Cool. Thanks OI. Anytime I don't have to spend more $$$$ is a good thing.:D
Torchie.

Yeah, working on my tan, but still lurking here :cool:
I've only ever used 75/25 on stainless (too cheap to spring for another rental bottle of Argon), it definitely spatters a lot but the welds seem to be strong enough and blend in after polishing. It may be just my skill level or maybe characteristic of using 75/25 but I do get some pits requiring filling, usually cosmetic surface divots that show when polished. I sometimes mask off areas that I don't want spatter to stick to with plain old masking tape or tin foil.

Thanks for the response ZZ.
That's pretty much in line with what my research has shown.
Don't forget to use sun screen.....:)
Torchie.

Purge shield.

A friend did a lot of aerospace welding before he retired. I saw him use some of the foil tape used on air conditioner ducts to form a bubble around the weld area to hold in the argon, keep most of the air away. get a better weld. some stainless will form bugggers on the back side of your weld if you don't purge.

Sorry I missed this one. I recently had this discussion with my Welding supply shop. A lot of guys just use mix gas. It seems to be popular anyway.

Latest posts

Back