48 GMC 5 window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent this morning putting wheels on the bead roller so I can move it around by myself easily.
I then started on the drivers side lower front cab corner.

This rusted area
attachment.php

I again made a cardboard template and transfered it to a new piece of 18 ga.
Ran it through the bead roller to get the body relief like yesterday and welded it in [;)
attachment.php

I have a small amount on the passenger side, in this area and the cab will be rust free :cool:

Attachments

• A panel drivers side rusted.jpg
    A panel drivers side rusted.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 188
  • A panel drivers side finished.jpg
    A panel drivers side finished.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 190
I'm impressed

Great work there. Are you having fun yet?
How much does a bead roller like that cost?
How gauge metal will it handle?

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I am having fun
Pops,the bead roller was $1,095.00 with one free die.
I ordered 5 additional dies. Shipping and all was $1,393.50 with the discount Shane gives us for being on these forums.
I'm gonna get 5 or 6 more dies to have everything I think I need.
I can't believe I waited so long to get one.

Looks like you figured out that bead roller pretty quick, all of the work you have done looks great! I like those old 5 windows for the visibility they give you.

I put Chassis Engineering front and rear suspension under a 37 ford sedan 25 years ago and it rode great.

Yea, this one looked pretty good :(
Bead roller is definitely great [cl
Got some welding done and the firewall unwanted holes filled [;)
I prefer to use the stock firewalls if at all possible :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Firewall holes filled.jpg
    Firewall holes filled.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 149
Looking at the firewall, doesn;t it seem like when you are not looking someone puts more holes in it for you to weld up? I couldn't believe all the holes in mine... I'm still not quire done filling them all...

Looking good on the patch work!

Looking at the firewall, doesn;t it seem like when you are not looking someone puts more holes in it for you to weld up? I couldn't believe all the holes in mine... I'm still not quire done filling them all...

Looking good on the patch work!
:eek: Oh my god yes :(
Thanks DR, I only have two more minor spots and the cab can be epoxy primed :D

man , i sure do know that feeling!!

Cab corners

Love them 5 windows. You have talent so I can't wait to see this.

I wish I could find cab corners for my R-102. I may just find something close enough to shape and hack them up to fit but they typically are not very cheap.
I assume a strecher wouldnt work to curve them because of the radius on the bottom instead of a sharper corner.

anyone ever make a wood buck and hammer them out?
Hey man, you can make them yourself if you got the time. Get a beater bag and hammer with a round nylon head and a piece of sheetmetal cut close to size you need an start beating it. It will look like hell at first, but once you smooth out the bumps on the english wheel you will be glad you did. It is not rocket science. The first one may take 90 minutes, but the second one maybe just an hour. If you weld a pipe handle onto a oxygen bottle cap, you can use that to get started on the beater bag. It takes a lot of muscle, but it is dirt cheap and when you are done you will want to show everybody what you did. Or you could buy corners for another truck and re shape them to fit your truck quicker.

Latest posts

Back