Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Interior Q&A, photos etc!

Interior Q&A, photos etc! Stuff for the interior! Seats, dashes, flooring, door panels... you name it!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 06:16 PM

Default gauge sets?

I have just started looking into gauges - I know I'm a bit premature for our project in it's current state, but I like to be prepared and informed......

anyhow, I found these:
http://snsclassics.com/gauges.html

and wondered if anybody else has used them? It seems AWFUL cheap for a whole gauge set (I'd get the 6 gauge set) with a programmable speedo (will definitely need!) $259 sounds like a steal!

Karin
http://36diamondt.blogspot.com
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Older, Wiser and Still Buildin'

Default Seems about right to me......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvail View Post
I have just started looking into gauges - I know I'm a bit premature for our project in it's current state, but I like to be prepared and informed......

anyhow, I found these:
http://snsclassics.com/gauges.html

and wondered if anybody else has used them? It seems AWFUL cheap for a whole gauge set (I'd get the 6 gauge set) with a programmable speedo (will definitely need!) $259 sounds like a steal!

Karin
http://36diamondt.blogspot.com
Unless your were going with Dakota or other set ups that can cost double that amount.....never used them so will have to defer to someone else...
Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

I used a set of the previous model from this manufactuer - the speedo wouln't program, though they did send me a replacement. At least now they got rid of the fish logo on the face. Definitely you get what you pay for and there is a big difference in quality compared to Classic Industries gauges, their kits are more complete, better senders and much better instructions. Of course budget is always important, I know some guys who swear by VDO instruments, though I've never used them. I have used Autoloc gauges though, and found them to be also at the low end in price and unfortunately, on quality too....
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 PM

Cool

Speedway has lots of gauge sets. Several in your price range. Here's a set of Autometers for about the same price....................

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Auto-M...eedo,7567.html

Turbo'd T build thread
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.3Turbo_T View Post
Speedway has lots of gauge sets. Several in your price range. Here's a set of Autometers for about the same price....................

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Auto-M...eedo,7567.html
Those are OK, but we are gonna need a programmable speedo since we have a Frankenstein rig with big truck sized tires We also want vintage look gauges - ivory with stainless rings and vintage lettering style
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
I used a set of the previous model from this manufactuer - the speedo wouln't program, though they did send me a replacement. At least now they got rid of the fish logo on the face. Definitely you get what you pay for and there is a big difference in quality compared to Classic Industries gauges, their kits are more complete, better senders and much better instructions. Of course budget is always important, I know some guys who swear by VDO instruments, though I've never used them. I have used Autoloc gauges though, and found them to be also at the low end in price and unfortunately, on quality too....
once you got the replacement, did it function correctly?
Old 10-31-2012, 12:09 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvail View Post
once you got the replacement, did it function correctly?
Yes, it did, but it was irritating when something you buy brand new is junk - and of course I didn't find out 'till the vehicle was all assembled, wired and road tested. The thing about the length of time it takes to build a car is that the warranty on parts like this may run out before you get it tested - in my case, I was lucky, the warranty was about 1 week from expiring.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
Yes, it did, but it was irritating when something you buy brand new is junk - and of course I didn't find out 'till the vehicle was all assembled, wired and road tested. The thing about the length of time it takes to build a car is that the warranty on parts like this may run out before you get it tested - in my case, I was lucky, the warranty was about 1 week from expiring.
ahh, good thing to think about! I will hold off to order it until it's ready to be driven!
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I wonder if there are any good gauges made any more. My Son bought a set of Stewart Warner domed "Wings" vintage gauges and they were not cheap. When we opened them up two of the needles had fallen off already and we never could get the speedo to program right. They did replace them but it was pretty frustrating. They are now being made in Mexico.

I have used Teleflex marine gauges in my last two cars and they are decent and look like the old SW gauges, but you can't get a speedometer.

Don
Old 11-06-2012, 11:31 AM

How about some old gauges, rebuilt- I just bought a '55 olds gauge cluster -looks cool but needs a custom made dash to fit. Alot of cool old stuff out there.