1937 Chevy Coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work Doc.:cool: :cool: :cool:
The only aftermarket stamped panels I ever bought that came close to fitting were from a Company here in Michigan called Northern Trucks.
After 35 years they closed up shop last year.
The replacement rocker skins I got for the Dodge aren't really the right profile either. I'm using them anyway as they will be covered for the most part by the stainless rocker trim.
Keep at it Doc.
You are gaining on it.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Your tail light situation was almost as bad as the one on my 38 coupe when I bought it in ‘74. It had a pair of ‘65 tail lights mounted in the trunk lid. It apparently had some larger tail lights mounted previously and had some old license plates glued to the inside with bondo and smaller holes hacked out to mount the 65 lights.

Your tail light situation was almost as bad as the one on my 38 coupe when I bought it in ‘74. It had a pair of ‘65 tail lights mounted in the trunk lid. It apparently had some larger tail lights mounted previously and had some old license plates glued to the inside with bondo and smaller holes hacked out to mount the 65 lights.

Apparently, the lights were considered a nice custom touch back then. I've actually had a few people say they like it. :eek:

I love your coupe by the way. [cl

Thanks to Covid restrictions (and additional health concerns at the B-tard residence) we haven't touched the car for two full months. That BS finally ended Saturday...

Picking up where we left off, we need to cut the weatherstrip channel out, because it's just plain wrong. Unlike the original, where the channel and body panels are separate pieces pinch-welded together, these jagaloons decided to stamp it all in one piece...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mELTwEHxg

To fully demonstrate this stupidity, I whipped out my chalk and drew the profiles as measured...

attachment.php

Passenger side before surgery...

attachment.php

We also have issues with bad alignment and irregular gap around this section of the lid, so we've decided to replace/fabricate more than the deformed channel. The plan is to replicate the factory profile in three pieces, like this...

attachment.php

So, we carved the channel out and we have the first part formed and fit, roughly. We made it in halves, because they're surprisingly complex and easier to fit this way...

attachment.php

We still need to refine the contour and graft them into what's left of the golden turd. The inner channel pieces will follow and they should be a cakewalk by comparison.

I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel. I can also see myself writing a nasty, informative, scathing, polite, angry, diplomatic flaming abusive graphic review to a certain company in Detroit.(Multiple personalities can be your friends.[ddd)

To end this chapter, a little fun with our just for fun "trademark". (Dozer: Your certificate is in the attachments below. :D)

attachment.php

Attachments

• body91.jpg
    body91.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 63
  • body91 gap.jpg
    body91 gap.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 63
  • body93 - Copy.jpg
    body93 - Copy.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 63
  • TRITARD CERT.png
    TRITARD CERT.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 18
  • body96 channel junk.jpg
    body96 channel junk.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 60
  • body97 channel new.jpg
    body97 channel new.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
While I’m working on the boat I’m formulating a plan to reproduce the lower trunk edge weather strip channel on the Dodge so I’m watching this thread like a hawk, good Dr.
Torchie

Definitely a bunch of work to fix a part that is supposed to cure your problems but it looks like you guys have it figured out and are on the way to sorting it out.
I still have work to do on the Packard to fit the trunk lid - I followed the factory lines for the shape of the lip at the bottom edge but it never fit the edge of the lid right originally, they just slapped a bunch of lead in to correct it. I may need to add material to the trunk lid edge to make it right - not a battle I want to tackle right now, wood work is easier...:rolleyes:
Keep up the good work[P[P

Glad to see you back on it, Doc. This really is going to make you a nice little coupe when done, and it has a history too. I always thought these were very pretty cars.

That was a hellofa tunnel you went through Doc. Glad to see you finally able to get back at it. Thanks for the certificate I will be sure to print off the wallet card and carry it with me. ;):D:D

I see you are persuading that metal to fit. I hope all is well with your buddy. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for your comments, guys. :D

I still have work to do on the Packard to fit the trunk lid - I followed the factory lines for the shape of the lip at the bottom edge but it never fit the edge of the lid right originally, they just slapped a bunch of lead in to correct it. I may need to add material to the trunk lid edge to make it right - not a battle I want to tackle right now

I hear ya loud and clear. The lid is big and has something like 200" of perimeter to keep in check. A sixteenth taken adds a sixteenth elsewhere and we don't want bondo on a hard edge. :mad: The whole issue sure makes me appreciate a lid with good fit... it also makes me appreciate a lid with some "acceptable imperfections"...

attachment.php

seems yer site has a problem.... [S doesn't work for me... wish it would tho :D

Sorry, dutch. It's all a gag inspired by Urban Dictionary,

Tritard
One who has achieved a level of stupidity three times higher then tardism
Jonny has ascended to the level of Tritard for being THAT stupid...

I see you are persuading that metal to fit. I hope all is well with your buddy. Keep up the great work.

Thanks, bob. There was reason for added precaution, but that reason has gone by without incident. Everybody's healthy and happy. :D

Attachments

• 37 tail rear.jpg
    37 tail rear.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 70
your attention to detail is staggering!

You're tellin' me. :p

Some small progress...

Our fabricated parts fit well and cure a couple of our ills. They provide a flush fit and correct the gap, which we're trying desperately to keep consistent @ 7/64" - 1/8".

Two problems down, one to go. The new parts force us into a new profile and I've been fighting with this in my sleep...

There's precious little real estate available and we need to make big moves in short distances. After some heavy contemplation, we settled for another compromise... flange and lap :eek: to allow some room for adjustment.

One side flanged

attachment.php

Halves tacked together again, new pass. side piece also fit and tacked. (We have not done the driver side yet. It's just sitting there loose.)

attachment.php

In an effort to put this madness in perspective, I bust my crayons out again...

attachment.php

We purposely created a valley to help make the transition. Now, before you guys jump down my throat, I would prefer perfectly formed pieces, butt-welded together. The truth of the matter is, this thing has kicked our collective asses. (If I stick my tongue out, a shoelace comes with it.) There's so much shape going in so many directions at once, I'm admitting defeat and it'll be finished as shown.

One last photo, showing one leg of the planned three - legged weatherstrip channel. (If you look close, there are three curves in this piece.)

attachment.php

Attachments

• body98.jpg
    body98.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 41
  • body99.jpg
    body99.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 40
  • body100.jpg
    body100.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 41
  • body101.jpg
    body101.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 40
Your making great progress Doc I suffer from the same sleepless fits trying to fix problems. I can usually get to sleep okay but when l wake at 2-3 am for a bathroom trip the brain won't let me go to sleep again.

Latest posts

Back