Rust Coating Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

Not a vehicle but I thought you all would be the best to ask a rust treatment. We bought this water trough to use as a soaking tub when it gets hot in the summer. We had a pool that got old and realized we really didn't need another, just somewhere to cool off. It is/was galvanized but the coating wore through. We bedlinered it then when that didn't work my Wife did a nice paint job. That too didn't last. Any suggestions on what we could use to stop the rust. Thanks. Jim

Attachments

• tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 41
  • tub1.jpg
    tub1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 31
Thank you all. I am going to look into both the POR and Ospho. I want to make sure we can fill it with water and sit in it without our skin coming off.:( I will let you all know what happens. Thanks again. Jim

Why tape on the outside and what kind?

New ones are about 250-300 if you can find one. We had ours for a few years but they became very popular during covid. Jim

Following up on this. I wire brushed it and applied a rust inhibitor from Home Depot that is Ospho rebadged. Exact same ingredients. It seemed OK but then it got a white powdery coating. I thought about it and thought a liner like a pool may be the ticket. Looked around at pool liners and they were expensive. I finally settled on a fish pond liner. It was about 50 bucks and way bigger them I needed. I could have gotten away with a smaller one or thinner but only wanted to do it once and right. It still needs some trimming but works great. Thanks for all the help. Jim

Attachments

• 20210720_145804.jpg
    20210720_145804.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back