1950 dodge truck tribute to my son

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really cool how your other son is taking such an interest in the truck........unless he finds a way to get a house early!

Fantastic!

You know, Skull, I didn't think it could get any better for you.....but it just did. So glad you had a great Thanksgiving and that Jimmy's brother wants the truck! You couldn't ask for more. OK....Now....next project! LOL

Lynn

Make a list

skull send "via email" me a list of what u need I'll keep it and when I get one in I'll do my best. I do the computer electronics at work and all the other electrical at times they call me sparks LOL, little do they know they should be calling me the parts guy, I help everyone I can.

I'm sorry for your loss brother ...

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss

hit the wall on the 33.

so, today l dragged out the pilothouse dodge truck l have had for 17 years. from the pics you can see how long she sat in limbo. so in my life, it is time to get it running/driving, so l decided to do a quick 2 month build on it.

it is a project my son and l started to do right after he was born, granted the first few years all he did was watch or hand me stuff, usually witherl wanted it or not. over the years of my job and his social life, we found time here and there and got it close to being a runner/driver.

then 8 years ago, 2 weeks before his 16th birthbay he drowned. following this loss and his compianship in my life, l lost interest in the truck. it was just not the same working on it without him:(

so l put her in storage and have not touched it since my son and l worked on it together over 8 years ago. we worked on it about 2 months together before l lost him.

the truck has a 77 nova sub-frame, a E-body 8 3/4 with 3:50 gears. she will be powered by a 327 sbc, 7OOR4 trans.

in my grief, l lost/misplaced the tittle, if anyone knows where l can get one, it would be GREATLY appreacted, l really want to finish the truck as a trubute to Jimmy(my son).

also need a few small parts, like the bars that hold down the hood, a raditor, some odds and ends.

Later:cool:

Sorry to learn of your sons passing, I know I couldn't bare losing a child , I'm real close to my 3 kids, and my car buddy is my 15 year old son, he did his first motor tear down at age 4, and we've done about 10 rebuilds since them. Good luck on your build, I think your son pushed you back to this cause he wanted to see it done. God Bless

dodge

My friends is on a dakota frame, caddy rear end, 350mtor 700R. We made it to the last hunnert pileup in oct.

Attachments

• DSCN4984-1.jpg
    DSCN4984-1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 53
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttt

djh2003 My friends dodge truck;

cool looking truck[dr anymore pics?

great stance, thanks for posting the pic and the info.

how much did they have to modify the frame and floor pans to get it to fit?

did he have to modify the firewall to clear the distributor like l did?

love to see a build thread on this if he has one.

Later :cool:

SKULL THAT IS ONE KOOL TRUCK.. I hope i can get my 57 d-110 going soon.. workin out of town kinda takes time away.. i might leave mine with the straight axle for a bit!! and see if i can shoehord the 440 in it!!

Sweet truck man!!! Most of all that truck has an amazing story behind. You took a tragedy and turned it into something positive. Your son would be proud! Great job!!

travel

SKULL THAT IS ONE KOOL TRUCK.. I hope i can get my 57 d-110 going soon.. workin out of town kinda takes time away.. i might leave mine with the straight axle for a bit!! and see if i can shoehord the 440 in it!!

l know well that travel thing,

before l compressed my spine an inch l was on the road all the time with the job l had.

make it real hard to work on rods when the only time your'e home is to wash clothes, re-pack and leave again.

Have no Dodge parts

But give you moral support . go fix that truck i think your son would want you to keep going as he would have.. good building

fuel issues

now that the weather is supposed to be getting better, l took the truck out for a drive and about 3 miles from home it died. towed it back here and for about 2 weeks its been driving me nuts. it has fuel but would not pick it up. pour a little gas into the carb and VR00M. sooooooo, 2 fuel pumps later and new filters, still no go:confused:

well to day l said screwit, brand new mechanical fuel pump, again new filters and ran new lines and, yaaaaaa, she runs again. drove it all over the yard and seems fine.

the littlest thing can turn into such a pain.

test drive this week-end to a friends, he's about 15 miles away, that is the shake down run before car show & cruisin' season.

Way to hang in there

Skull I can't imagine what you must have gone through with the loss of your son but man you shine with your tribute. Your son would be proud. I like red but the patina really does this build justice. Have fun while driving, and of course, you will remember your boy every time you fire it. Stay cool and as we used to say "Keep on Trucking". Maybe we will see you and your truck around at one of the shows. I hope to be driving mine by the end of June. Got a lot to do. Later Steve

haunted

l think my son is haunting his truck.

on the shake down run l didn't even make it to the end of the driveway and it blew the freeze plug under the starter. well, l put in a new freeze plug this morning.

after l fixed the freeze plug l decided that was my last problem for awhile.

wouldn't ya know it, one more gremlin this afternoon. taking my buddy home, the truck wouldn't start at the gas station after filling it up. she turned over real slow, jumped it and fired right up. we were closer to his place so we figured run it over there and fix it. hahhahahhaaa, right:rolleyes:, we made it far as the bridge at the old brewery in town, she died right in the middle in the left lane and nowhere to pull over.

a nice gentleman pulled up, gave a ride to my friend who got a tow strap and his car, then we took it to his place.

l took the alternator and battery to autozone, tested them, good alternator, bad battery.

tomorrow or the next day l'll get a battery and l HOPE that's the end of the fun for a little bit.

AND l still enjoyed driving her, and all in all not a bad day, another friend showed up as we were towing her and after dropping off the truck, he ran me all over to do what l needed and brought me home.

half the fun of owning a hot rod, fix it, fix it again, enjoy the experience:D

Latest posts

Back