1950 dodge truck tribute to my son

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
title

l had to prove the V I N was correct one and to that cab. after that it was no problem, nice guy at the state who helped me has muscle cars so he understood the rebuild/replaced/rebuilt parts l had to do to make her road worthy.

Later ..:cool:

Wow...Sorry to hear about your son. I cant imagine losing a child. I don't have kids of my own yet. The truck looks good and I hope you find the time to get the truck running and drivable. Best of luck to you. Looking forward to seeing it complete!

done

thanks

it's done for now till my other son gets it when l die. he can change it if he wants to.

the memories l have of jimmy helping me and sitting in it is the way the body looks now & to change it would erase the memories l have of him and the truck together in the garage helping me work on it.

been enjoying it for 2 1/2 years or so :D

l took it to the car show this week-end and got a lot of positive vibes from the people looking at it.

what's weird is the lady who helped me get jimmy's truck off the bridge at midnight where it locked up the front brakes on her maiden "voyage" came over to me and gave me a big hug and and told me she's glad to it running so well . she said she still remembers that night vividly she shoved me off the bridge to get me outta traffic and off to the side of the road. l guess me and the truck made a lasting impression in her life.

there was a U S army soldier in his 2O's came up from california where he is based. he's on leave and told he likes hot rods and is building one in his spare time. real nice guy, he sat in my truck, l started it and revved it up and his eyes lit up like a christmas tree.

that is the hidden beauty in the truck, l let kids sit in all the time, just yesterday sitting in the gas station a 5 year boy went nuts over the truck and letting him sit in it made my day and his. people want sit in her a lot & that is cool to me.

l'm going to drive it a lot this summer and enjoy her, also l plan a extra hour or 2 every day l take it out 'couse invariably people look and talk to me about it.

Later :cool:

anniversary

June 13th is the anniversary of Jimmy's drowning.

hard to believe it's been 11 years. this year is really hard, it was a thursday in 2OO2 that l lost him and the anniversary this year in 2O13 falls on a thursday.

l have to THANK EVERYONE on here who kept me motivated when we were building his truck and the support around here has really helped me fight thru the tough times. it absolutely feels great to belong to this board and the good people who make it happen.

thanks for putting up with me.

Jim

showin'

at elma:D

Attachments

• DSC01765.jpg
    DSC01765.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01764.jpg
    DSC01764.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 45
Keep doin' it...

Hey Skull. Sounds like you are influencing a lot of future rodders. Thats a great thing to use the truck for.....it gives it purpose. Your son would be proud. Hang in there, my friend.

Lynn

thanks

Hey Skull. Sounds like you are influencing a lot of future rodders. Thats a great thing to use the truck for.....it gives it purpose. Your son would be proud. Hang in there, my friend.

Lynn

has had a lot of people sitting in her lately:D

one little girl at the show today, probably 8 or 9 years old, l fired up the engine and let her rev it up a bit by holding her foot and showing her how to blip the throttle to get that vrom vrom outta the pipes then let her tap it a few times on her own. her eyes shined and smilin' from ear to ear.

doin' my best to corrupt the future generations:eek:

BANG?

l was driving along on the freeway yesterday and l hear-BANG- and the truck starts feeling funny thru the steering wheel, kinda like a flat tire, but not quit the same sudden to one side or the other kind of pull you can get with a blow-out. so since it's not "dancing" all over the road l figure l better get where l am going while l can.

get to the cruz & park and check all the tires, they look good, then my cousin says ''hey, it's listing on the rear passenger side'', we look in the bed and sure enough, broke a shock.

l got this stock pair l have had for awhile to stick on, so tomorrow is maintenance day, new front brakes and rear shocks.

can't complain though, 2 years of driving her a lot & other than oil changes, this is the first real work l have had to do, not bad for home built rod.

Later:cool:

Attachments

• DSC066.jpg
    DSC066.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01865.jpg
    DSC01865.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC01868.jpg
    DSC01868.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 36
show

at the show last night was this stock 1 1/2 ton 48 dodge and my not so stock one.

they both have the same size cab, doors, hood & front grille but the 1 1/2 ton has really big wheel well openings.

mine looks small next to this one:eek:

Attachments

• sec.jpg
    sec.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 56
  • sec1.jpg
    sec1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 56
  • sec2.jpg
    sec2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 53
shocked:)

FIXED:D

l found some shocks l had for another project so l "B0RR0WED" them for the dodge, just have to replace the shocks for the other rig later, l need them in the worse way right now to get the truck going. had to make a slight modification so they'd fit correctly. stitch weld them slowly so the oil don't get to hot. test drove her for about 5 mile, they work good, a little stiffer than the others, but l can live with it.

yes, there are jackstands under the frame.

l have a local show on friday then drive a 1OO miles to my other son's to see the grandkids and wander around a car show by there house on saturday.

Attachments

• DSC01869.jpg
    DSC01869.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC01883.jpg
    DSC01883.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC01882.jpg
    DSC01882.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01879.jpg
    DSC01879.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01877.jpg
    DSC01877.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC01875.jpg
    DSC01875.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC01873.jpg
    DSC01873.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01872.jpg
    DSC01872.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC01884.jpg
    DSC01884.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 31
OK Skull......who's taking the pic's.????

We believe you about the jack stands....but couldn't you get her up a little higher?? lol...Kidding....nice work man....:D

answers

sarge ''OK Skull......who's taking the pic's.????"

ME! 'couse l is so UGLY l would break'a the camera, so's l stay's behinder it:eek:

So who is the big fella doing all the work????

Or is that one of those "if I tell ya, I'll have to kill you" sort of things....:D

Latest posts

Back