1950 dodge truck tribute to my son

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adopted

Sarge " is that one of those "if I tell ya, I'll have to kill you" sort of things....''

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's a secret[S

my adopted son, l've known his mom since we were both 13 years old and was around him since his birth 30 years years ago. his real dad was guy who never wanted to be a father and left when he was real young. been friends since the 70's with his mom and we did the cruz'in thing with him in the car seat driving around my 1957 chevy l still have in the garage. (to be finished some day)

he's a self-taught welder and fabricator and is really good at it, then 3 years ago started welding school and now has degrees in almost every form of welding.

a very big part in getting the 3OlSH and Jimmy's truck done.

helps me with a ton of stuff this broken old body can't do any more.

l stay active and do a lot on my projects, but with out him, they would not get done.

Later :cool:

oh.....ok....I'll keep it on the down low......

Sarge " is that one of those "if I tell ya, I'll have to kill you" sort of things....''

SHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's a secret[S

my adopted son, l've known his mom since we were both 13 years old and was around him since his birth 30 years years ago. his real dad was guy who never wanted to be a father and left when he was real young. been friends since the 70's with his mom and we did the cruz'in thing with him in the car seat driving around my 1957 chevy l still have in the garage. (to be finished some day)

he's a self-taught welder and fabricator and is really good at it, then 3 years ago started welding school and now has degrees in almost every form of welding.

a very big part in getting the 3OlSH and Jimmy's truck done.

helps me with a ton of stuff this broken old body can't do any more.

l stay active and do a lot on my projects, but with out him, they would not get done.

Can you tell him that I'd like to be his dad too!! I could really use the help to get some of this stuff in the barn done.....
Seriously....nice to see that he's helping you out and that you have been there for him in his fathers' absence.....Any man can make a a son but a father needs to raise him....I'm sure he's glad you and his mom were friends...
:D

sure

Sarge "Can you tell him that I'd like to be his dad too!! I could really use the help to get some of this stuff in the barn done...."

he says "sure, just pay for the train ticket, room & board and a small fee" and he'll be over:D[;)

$$eight thousand dollars$$ really?

l drove the truck 240 miles this week-end and she never missed a beat, best part is l got take the daughter in law for a ride in it ,the first time for her and she loved it, then my younger son and l drove Alice to a car show and spent some real quality time[cl

l had a guy offer me 8K cash for the truck, told him not for sale, he goes "you don't know what you got here" & l go "0H yes l do:D:D

all in all, a great week-end,

Later:cool:

Last edited:
maintiance blues

l have been driving the truck for the last few days before the rain sets in for the winter, drove over to my friends house to grab him, we noticed a small puddle under the truck when l was sitting there idling. looked at the puddle and seen it was tranny fluid, ran it home thru it up on jack stands and sure enough, tranny cooler leaking all over the place. replaced it and l thought we were all good....:rolleyes:.

however the engine has been missing and a little down on power, we noticed a burnt spark plug wire so l pulled the plug out , it was a little burned and we took out a couple and more they looked awful so it's replacement time for plugs/wires this week-end.

l guess almost 2 1/2 years and this is the first "real" work to her is a good thing:D

Attachments

• DSC02132.jpg
    DSC02132.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC02133.jpg
    DSC02133.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC02134.jpg
    DSC02134.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC02136.jpg
    DSC02136.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC02137.jpg
    DSC02137.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 33
I like how you mounted the trans cooler separate from the radiator... Great way to eliminate heat transfer! I'll put that in my note book!

I love that hood!:D

gratuitous

I like how you mounted the trans cooler separate from the radiator... Great way to eliminate heat transfer! I'll put that in my note book!

I love that hood!:D

here is pic of the engine, the reason the valves are gettin' some exposer, typical chevy leaky valve covers....gotta put in new gaskets & gonna throw on some different valve covers.

gratuitous hood shot for CC13:D

Attachments

• DSC02138.jpg
    DSC02138.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 28
  • erson 1.jpg
    erson 1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 22
  • erson 2.jpg
    erson 2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02135 - Copy.jpg
    DSC02135 - Copy.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 221
When I was building my big block, I spotted some of those pricey valve cover gaskets at So-Cal Speed Shop. I think they're Earl's brand. For kicks I asked the guy what they cost. He said they ordered them for a guy that never came back to pick em up, so I could have em at cost. I can't remember what I paid, or what retail was, but I remember $75 being in there somewhere.

I bought them, put them with the cheapest tall valve covers I could buy, and torqued the valve covers to spec. I haven't had any leaks after about 10K miles. I've had the valve covers off a few times for adjustments and to replace the rocker arms, and still no leaks.

I like what you're doing with your truck now that it's done. I like reading the stories about the people you meet, and how much they enjoy it. Keep at it.

here is pic of the engine, the reason the valves are gettin' some exposer, typical chevy leaky valve covers....gotta put in new gaskets & gonna throw on some different valve covers.

gratuitous hood shot for CC13:D

:D

I use felpro gasket, they're are rubberized with a steel inner that keeps them in shape, I've run them since I can remember, they work GREAT, no leak, no permatex, just tighten them up I think I got them for about $12 at the local parts warehouse!

ride

took the truck out for a ride today [cl

good for my soul to take her out, went shopping and about a 1 1/2 hours talking to people..finally made it home.

55 degrees and sunny today, same forcast tomorrow so we will go out and enjoy this beautiful January weather:D

plan getting the hood back on this some time week-end.

Attachments

• DSC02144.jpg
    DSC02144.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC02145.jpg
    DSC02145.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02146.jpg
    DSC02146.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC02148.jpg
    DSC02148.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02150.jpg
    DSC02150.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02151.jpg
    DSC02151.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 84
traffic story

weird thing happened tuesday.

l was driving the truck and came up the freeway off ramp to the stop sign and a guy in a tricked out new escalade truck hops out and comes back to the window of my truck. l think "0h hell, whatteda l do now?"

apparently nothing, he hands me a business card and goes call me if ya want to sell the truck, kinda like right outta some of those lame build shows.

so out of curiosity l called and he really was serious. l drove out to see the shop he owns, it's a water consolation/installation company that treats water, installs systems for the farms that are big(wheat, hay,soybeans) and has industrial places, food processing and even car wash products for private and the automated ones. AND he has a couple of planes and his own private pilots that fly him around to consult with his clients. offered me a ride if sold him the truck.

l told him it was not for sale, he said how about 12K cash, l said 25K and will talk, but we both know it ain't worth that much to any one but me and family.

however, if l can find him one from the 194O's to mid 195O's he would do the ride thing and be real appreciative.

he wants to go for a ride in jimmy's truck, so l will oblige him soon.

l LOVE this truck, it has opened so many doors, l never dreamed it would do any of the great things she has done for me:D

today's a nice sunny day, going out driving her while l have the chance before the rain starts later this week.

Thats a cool story skull, man that guy must have some serious money. I guess things happen when you least expect them. It'd be pretty cool to go for a cruise in one of his planes.

-Chris

yea $$$

that is the 3rd or 4th time someone with cash in hand asked me if l wanted to sell her:confused:

how come the 2 rods l want to sell don't get offers even driving around with for sale sign in them[S

life is funny sometimes, but l am having a blast in this thing, even though all my other rod's are cool, Jimmy's truck will probably be my favorite ride for long, long time.

OH and yes sarge, the hood is back on:D

Later:cool:

It always happens that way Skull. If you want to keep it, everybody wants it. If you want to sell it, you can't give it away. At least that's my luck, anyway.
I could never be a car salesman, I'd go broke! :)

In memory of your son

Go for it buddy! Build it for your son. Put a picture of him along with the truck and take it to car shows and tell people about him. He won't be forgotten! My husband did a tribute car to a friend who was shot down in Vietnam and we have the honor of being invited to Carlisle Pennsylvania for the big GM show this year to show his 67 GTO. We are determined he won't be forgotten. It's good therapy to work when you've lost a loved one and I'm sure your son will be right beside you in spirit. I bet [clhe was a great kid and your a great dad for wanting to keep his memory alive.

Kool truck Skull! Somethings don't have a price tag! It is truly strange how much attention these ratty vehicles get. It is best when you have a story to go with it. Real door opener, like you say. And probably helps you to relate to those of your son's age better than anything. Money cant buy that kind of therapy!

BTW - are you showing anywhere in the PNW this summer? It would be great to be parked next to you!

John L.

Latest posts

Back