steering box pictures...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawg

Could anyone post some pics of different steering boxes, and types of mounts that were fabbed? Just wanted to see some variety. TIA...

2008_0706box0005.jpg

I installed this Ross box in my Cornbinder last week. The 3rd box I've put in it. This one works very nice. Could be from a fork lift truck. Maybe someone here knows. The mounting bracket bolts to the top and side of the frame.

'56 Ford F100 on my '39 Dodge, and reversed Corvair on the black and the blue T buckets. (actually Flaming River reproduction Corvair boxes, but essentially the same)

Don

dodgemakingsomeprogressonfrontend00.jpg

dodgemakingsomeprogressonfronten-1.jpg

tfrontwheelspainted003.jpg

donstframedetailofsteeringbox-1.jpg

Any side steer box suggestions,with the Pitman arm UP ?

Something easier to find than an early Mustang or VW Bus.
Power steering would be a big plus.

I didn't have room in the '32 frame and Nailhead motor for the F100 box I planed on using. Here's a pic of the '46 truck box(cross steer) and a 40's car mount.......just mocked up but it looks like it will work with the stock headers too.
100_3428.jpg

You can see the U-joint I plan to use in the picture, this will bring it over the starter and a second u-joint will bring it up through the fire wall.(got them out of a Honda)

I copied Donsrods Dodge box and mount (sort of). If it's good enough for Don, it's certainly good enough for me. :D

Well, I found a little glitch in mine Perley..........when I turn the wheel right it goes left, and when I turn it left it goes right. No big problem, you just have to get used to it, that's all. :eek: You'll do fine with it.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :D:D I really like the way your rod is coming along.

Don

butchl, I'm assuming you are asking about the Ross box in my Binder. It is a recirculating ball box so it takes much less effort than the worm and sector early Chevy truck boxes I had in before. I got it at a swap meet so I don't know what is came from.

Here is a 79-84 toyota 4x4 manual box with custom pitman arm, works well for frame or through cowl steering and has a nice flat 4 bolt mounting flange.

Attachments

• HPIM3026 (Small).JPG
    HPIM3026 (Small).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 162

Latest posts

Back