51 Mercury Flathead

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmw56

Busted and Rusted on Route 66
I found a 1951 Mercury V8 Flathead CM in running condition for sale. 255 cubic inch, 112hp. I thinking of buying it and replacing the 36 21 Stud in the 34. From what I've heard they make great Hot Rod engines.

Any pros-cons, suggestions

Picked up the Mercury Flathead today. It's out of a car with only 59,000 miles. I was told it was running when pulled and the owner had driven the car for 3 years before pulling it. I saw the car and looks like it is a fairly low milage car. The engine is a bit dirty but it's all there.

006.jpg

005.jpg

The Mercury flathead is very similar to the Fords with a few differences mainly the 1/4" longer stroke. The Mercury also has a 4 bolt very unusual looking carb instead of the 3 bolts Holleys or Strombergs.

007.jpg

This one also came with a 3 speed overdrive transmission.

016.jpg

Intake manifolds, heads, exhaust manifolds will all exchange with the 8BA Ford engine.

nice!! i just picked up a 50 4dr sedan thats got the baby bro 239ci flattie in it

The V8 Briggs n' Stratton lol

+1 for another flattie on the road [cl[cl[cl

51 is good, the 49 to 53's are most refined of the bunch [cl

plus you alread have the "big" crank 4in stroke the rest were 3.75in the only differences were in bore on the earlier fords (pre 49)

Pick up a copy of 'FORD FLATHEAD V-8 BUILDERS HANDBOOK 1932-1953' by Frank Otto lots great how to stuff and every good or bad thing about flattie ford v8's you ever wanted to know

specs for all years bearing info torque spec etc etc , common failure points and areas where the blocks like to crack what to look for when buyin a used flatie..... the list goes on!!!!

my local public library had a copy on the shelf

then google what replacement or speed parts cost, then decide if you REALLY want a flathead. i'm leaning toward a late model swap but i may go thru the flattie and see if she's saveable after I get my 50 sedan on the road

Cool, this is my 1st one

The engine was a runner but the previous owner pulled the intake off of it to check a lifter last fall and didnt replace the intake manifold due to cold weather, so my engine was in the car minus an intake slightly exposed to the elements since octlober. in all realities if I wanted to be ghetto I'd drop in some new adjustable lifters and run it as is but i'd rather be safe and tear it all the way down for a freshening up.

Latest posts

Back