Chev 215 & 235 Dizzy interchangable??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustys1973

Hi,
Does anyone know if the 215 distributor will fit into a 235 blue falme chev 6?
Our 1946 Chevy truck (fitted with a 235 Blueflame 6) has always had a bent dizzy shaft, never replaced as originally we were going to rod the truck (untill we came to the conclusion that its way too good to mess with- so now keeping semi original and building a rat rod from scrap-yard destined parts) but now it has worn so badly it wont run (and if it does there are flames out the exhaust as number 2 cylinder rarley gets a spark and other cylinders are intermittent) - we do have a 215 complete engine in the shed, but before I spend time trying to swap dizzys, just looking to see if someone can tell me if they are interchangable??
Cheers in advance!
Dave - Barossa Valley Australia

Sorry Dave, I meant to reply a few days ago. :eek:

Yes, they will interchange... but... the advance curves are quite different and the drive gears need to be swapped.

Something I learned by accident 20 years ago, a 250 HEI will work with some minor modifications.

I found an article explaining how it's done, complete with pictures. :D

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/277820/post/2201990/hl//fromsearch/1/

The above misses one point I'd like to add. The hold clamp from the 235 distributor should fit the 250, eliminating the need to monkey one like the link describes.

Good to know

Hi Dr Crankenstein,
Thanks heaps for the info, getting closer to the weekend, I was going to swap them and see if it was interchangeable, different advance curve doesn't sound like much fun, maybe get more flames out the exhaust! Ha ha, good article on the HEI,
Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back