Diesel Pros : Help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tecster

Alright, so my dream is coming true... I found a 7.3L Powerstroke engine with 70k miles on it and I would LOVE to swap it into my 67 International Pickup but I do have quite a few questions...

Wiring - What exactly do I need to make it run and drive? I'd like to retain the stock lighting & such and am not in need of gauges working - I'll wing it for a few.

Weight - I removed quite a few leafs from my suspension to drop it, should I consider running coilovers or air suspension along with my leafs to help with the weight?

Torque - Someone mentioned boxing my frame...the truck is a 1 ton truck - will it twist it like salt water taffy?

Wiring

If its an early (80's) power stroke than it only needs one keyed power wire to the injector pump.

Those weigh a ton!! Going to Have to add something or all of them. Bags are the easiest and probably the best ride.

Start boxing, and sleeving, and gusseting, and generating beefing up your frame for that 1000 lb beast that will probably twist a half ton truck in half.

It will all be worth it though. Get start and get us some pictures

Kurt

Wires

That's going to take some serious amount of wires. Computers controlled injector ump I believe, might be possible to convert it over to the older stile manual pump but would take some research.

Start saving for a welder.

Kurt

If its an early (80's) power stroke than it only needs one keyed power wire to the injector pump.

Kurt

The first Powerstroke came out in 1994, and it does not have an injector pump. I think you are thinking of the old 7.3 International motor.

The Powerstroke has a computer controlled injection system.

What Ron Said! And those are HEAVY! Get a 1st. Gen Cummins, and drop it in...they are the Small Block Chevys of the Diesel World.
Put a 3200 Spring in it, turn up the pump, Get yourself a good turbo with some injectors....and Hang-On!

Yeah, all power strokes are fly by wire so you'll really need a donor vehicle or it will get costly and frustrating trying to wire it all in. If it's an automatic transmission, those have electronics too.
Or send me the PS, my 2000 has almost 250,000 on it and I'd love to have a low mileage engine to swap out. Not that it needs it though, lots of them running around with 400,000+.
I also think the 12 valve cummins is a lot better way to go but I don't think they are much lighter than a PS. Unless you plan on towing big loads, I'd look for a 4BT Cummins. It's the 4 cylinder version of the 12 Valve. Many of them have a Ford transmission/bell housing so a small block Ford ZF 5 speed bolts up and it makes a nice drivetrain. It'll run like stink and still get 25 mpg, or more.

Latest posts

Back