Lakes headers with internal mufflers; too noisey?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat-on

Time to build headers for the RPU. I would really like to build lakes style headers with 30" megaphones from Speedway. Then cut some glasspacks open and make some muffler inserts for headers. I figure I have enough room for 12" long inserts. The engine is a Chevy V6. Will this muffle enough to keep my neighbors happy? And the horses from stampeding? I don't want the capped off look with downtubes. :confused:

Also have done it.
Not that loud, unless ya get on the LOUD pedal

Attachments

• Old Crow @ Del Mar 3.jpg
    Old Crow @ Del Mar 3.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Old Crow @ Del Mar 6.jpg
    Old Crow @ Del Mar 6.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 32
I built a simple set for my Limefire headers and they surprisingly knocked the sound down a lot. I hate the sound without them but when they are in it is so much more tolerable. Doesn't seem to affect HP much at all.

Here is how I did mine, with the turnouts in place you can't even see them.

Don

First I cut out a metal plate the size and shape of the header flange. I used a header gasket for a pattern.

tbafflesforheaders003-1.jpg

Then I bought a 2 foot section of exhaust tubing at Autozone and cut it in half.

tbafflesforheaders006-1.jpg

Punched the tube full of holes and used a punch to make them into little scoop shapes (I have no idea what the scoops do, but I saw a professional set of these and they had scoops so I copied that) Then I welded the two together.

tbafflesforheaders010-1-1.jpg

When bolted in between the header flange and the turnout you can't see the baffles in place.

theaderturnouts-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back