I'm getting ahead of myself, but want opinions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExDelayed

I'm still in the process of replacing the wood in the 36, but the snow free weather in Northern Utah has me still looking at junkyard parts. It will still be awhile before I *need* an engine, but these are what I am thinking, and I am wanting some opinions.

I know how sacrilegious it would be to use most of these, but the goal of the project is keeping the car inexpensive, which explains some of my choices (and unusual is good!).

I have a 94 Cobra engine with its T-5 attached, but I am wanting to use the engine in my Galaxie. I am open to the idea of stealing the transmission, and could find another when I need it I also have a rebuilt, lockup 727, which I could also steal if I needed.

Engine choices are:

Ecotec, I like this one probably the least favorite, but hey are fairly cheap, plentiful, and a a manual trans is not impossible to find. I would run Megasquirt for engine control. Would want (need) a small turbo to make the car enjoyable.

SAAB 2L Turbo, taken out of a 900 or 9-3, its still kind of GM (stepchild?). The factory fuel injection can be modified for the car, saving on the cost of the Megasquirt. A bellhousing can be bought that will allow the T5 to bolt up. Stock can handle a decent amount of power, it is easily programmed, still fairly common, light, inexpensive, and I am already used to working on these.

Kubota V2203, because its diesel and weird. Its a small engine, but with a turbo, it would make more than enough torque to get the car moving. It wouldn't be a race winner, but its mileage would be able to compete with my CR-Z once it was on the road. Bellhousing adapters exist to bolt it to either the 727 or the T5. Engine would be about $1000, and then it would need to be modified for road use.

And I have recently found a supercharged Jaguar AJ16, 4L, straight-6. The engine is in the wrecking yard, but still appears fine. I'd grab the trans with it, and would have to Megasquirt the entire thing, and it appears that the trans is based off of the 4L80E. I could get this one for a song, but it would probably be the heaviest of all. The torque (almost 400 lbft, stock) would make it a fun ride. Someone has taken the supercharger already, but it is an Eaton M90, so another could be found, or maybe turbo(s)? If I killed this engine, it would be the most difficult, but not impossible, to find a spare.

I know a 350 and 700R4 would be the easiest, but am not interested in going that way.

It will be sitting on Jaguar suspension with air, front and rear.

EDIT: My sig doesn't really clarify, but the car is a 2-door Chevy sedan.

Pics will come when I get a little further along. No floor, sitting on jackstands, and in the early stages of a channeling job is nothing to start a pics thread about.

uh.... yes it is! Even if it's just so we can see what's hanging on the walls of your garage. :D

Latest posts

Back