Engine paint?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1934lowboy

I am just trying to get some feedback or thoughts on factory engine colors! In some cars I've seen they run special motors painted stock colors. Like a green nailhead. My engine is a 1958 Mercury 332(FE-390) the factory color is light green. I think it would look o.k. but I sure wouldn't want it to look like a tampon box! Might just go with Old Ford Blue. Thanks!

Last edited:
I base my engine color choice on what I'm attempting to accomplish in the long run. Many times, I just go with black. It looks good with shiny parts and blends well with any color the car is painted, or not painted. If I'm doing a well finished and detailed car, I tend to choose a color that is the same as the body or chassis. On my coupe, I wantd to somewhat give the impression that someone could have removed the engine from a donor car and put it in a rod so I painted the engine the factory (early hemi) silver, although I would probably not have done that if the factory engine color clashed badly with the rest of the car. Just an opinion, but I think you would be alright with the blue or the factory aqua Nailhead color in your sedan.

Silver Hemi

Thanks Gastrick! I checked out your Hemi build post, a while back, and thought it looked great! I like the custom pieces on an old engine! I think I'm goona stick to the Ford blue. Later!

I just saw a combination at Turkey Run that on the surface would seem to clash, but it looked great. It was a light green 32 Ford roadster and the engine and transmission were red. It really popped just right. So there are no hard and fast rules on this subject.

Don

46fordpictures009.jpg

Latest posts

Back