traditional steering box's?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

i searched here and over the net.

what options do i have if i want to go with a traditional steering manual box?

i see some where they reverse the steering box, what is involved to do that?

i was going to use my oem 33 box but the teeth and worm gear are pretty thin and i dont want to trust it.

any help would be great.

terry

The Corvair box is the one that gets reversed. Most people mount them on top of the frame rail in front of the firewall. The Vega box can also be used, it would mount under the frame rail. The Vega needs quite a bit of ground clearance since it is under the frame.

By the way we have both the Corvair and Vega boxes and their respective mounts in stock if you need one.

I used a 68 Mustang box turned sideways on this truck.
544a.jpg

I used a 66 mustang box on ours. Vega, Monza, Reversed Corvair are all good as well, esp on a bucket or roadster. A heavier car I'd suggest maybe a Mustang, F100 or something simular. Heck I even saw a friend of mine use a manual box from a nova once.

where does one find a f100 style box?

how tall is the vega box? what is the height from mounting surface to the out put centerline?

does all the cross steer boxes when flipped move in the right direction for traditional steer?

1 more question.

my front axle is set up for cross steer (1942 merc). i had to pinch the radius rods so it would fit my frame and tire clearance when turned. the strongest drag link would be a streight line. i dont know how far a super bell will hang out from my spindle, so i might have to put a kink in it for tire clearance. which might not be good. maybe i should just use the cross steer and be done with it.

any thoughts with my problem?

REARSUS013.jpg

You should have turning room with the traditional parallel drag link. Do not put a bend or kink in the drag link. Drag links are under high stress and any bend will allow it to flex which could contribute to bump steer and wobble.

if you are sticking with the cross steer i would run a vega box. tried and true and simple.

why did you have to cut your wish bones like that? all the cars that i have built, i have never had to modify wish bones to that extent for clearance. the only way i have had to modify bones is to put them in a roller to give them an arc not an abrupt (sp) kink or bend. they just look odd but that is just my opinion

the 42 ford/ merc axle bosses are farther out than the 30"s ford axles.

i cut out a 1/2" wedge to bend them the way i did. i did not cut the back wall of the rods. where there bent at is right at the leading edge of the tire at full turn, 1" clearance. if i didnt do this i would not have to ask about a steering box, lol. it wouldnt turn that far.

the tire that is on there now is a little taller than what i will run. so i will gain more room.

i really didnt think of any other way to solve the problem. a slight curve would be nice as well.

steering box

I am using a suzuki samari box on mine, mounted under the frame with the steering arm pointed up to keep everything in a parellel line.
I think I would have found a different offset rim to move the tires out on your car instead of cutting those arms. just my .02

well i went to the swap meet today and picked up a mustang steering box with column for 50 bones.

now its time for the big desision, traditional or cross steer

i searched here and over the net.

what options do i have if i want to go with a traditional steering manual box?

i see some where they reverse the steering box, what is involved to do that?

i was going to use my oem 33 box but the teeth and worm gear are pretty thin and i dont want to trust it.

any help would be great.

terry
I blagged a steering box of a buddy, and reversed it after pulling it apart to see how it worked. It wasn't until I asked on the HAMB about it that I realised it was a Corvair box and reversing them is an old rodders trick.

Trying to get the Pitman arm off, it was tighter than hell, but I tensioned up a puller on it, added a couple of seconds with the gas torch, and it popped right off.

45326ab1.jpg

What you see here is where a 5/8" hole was drilled through the alloy end cover and the steering shaft installed the opposite way round.
0499c819.jpg

8f6b73a4.jpg

I need to mount it an inch or so higher than the frame rail, so it all lines up properly and geometrically. I have yet to finalise the design, as I'm busy on the front axle mounts.

Latest posts

Back