leaf spring mount for suicide suspension?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... the 5/8" bolt across is the biggest weak point in my opinion. I didn't know how else to do it except to run a transverse axle? if this doesn't work, that's what I'll switch to.
I'm some work and $ into this setup, so I hope i can make it work.:eek:

If that 5/8" bolt shears it will only be because you were run into by a semi. :D

You are in double shear there so virtually unbreakable in normal driving.

I see no strength problems with your setup, apart from maybe the lower link. Is that tube or solid? It looks a little thinner than is normally used, and that is the one in compression under heavy braking. Most people usually use 7/8" or 1" x 1/8" wall tube in that situation.

If that 5/8" bolt shears it will only be because you were run into by a semi. :D

You are in double shear there so virtually unbreakable in normal driving.

I see no strength problems with your setup, apart from maybe the lower link. Is that tube or solid? It looks a little thinner than is normally used, and that is the one in compression under heavy braking. Most people usually use 7/8" or 1" x 1/8" wall tube in that situation.

I used the 7/8" tube from Speedway with 5/8" threaded ends. I think some of the parts look small because a lot of the original motorhome parts are massively oversized.

I used the 7/8" tube from Speedway with 5/8" threaded ends. I think some of the parts look small because a lot of the original motorhome parts are massively oversized.

Ok, yeah, just looks out on the piccie.

Now I think of it, the Speedway hairpins I used on my last rod only had 3/8" bolts holding the hairpins to the axle plates, so your 5/8" is more than enough. :D

by the way, love your truck Ratcrazy. I just went through your whole build today!! I love the way it turned out. great look, fun truck. [cl

Thanks man. Appreciate the comment.
In the pictures your bolts didnt look that big but 1/2's and 5/8 grade 8 should work great for you.
Keep up the good work and more pictures please[cl

take a look at his front end set up... isn't so far off from your first design... just a bit more stable looking.... he has his spring mounted similar to your design with the radius rods on both sides keeping it stable and maintaining caster angles.... I think this is what you originally had in mind, didn't you?

Front axle assembly is a Pete and Jake's if that helps.

Latest posts

Back