SBC gurus needed...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second photo:

Tonawanda factory, 3rd month (March), 14th day of that month. I think that "C" denotes a 50's motor. I could probably figure it out along with the codes in the first photo but I can't make out the lettering. Any way to wire brush the paint off gently?

The casting # is hard to read... the nearest thing I can find is 3858180, which is '64-67 327. The triangle mark on the cylinder head suggests power pack of the same era.

With respect to kush, (welcome to RRR, kush) I read the second photo as T0314S... the only reference I can find to "S" is 1962 327. [S

Somewhere to the right of the casting number should be a date code... a capital letter with a few digits. The letter will be the month, the first digit(s) the day, and the last digit, the year of that particular decade.

Scrub it up and get those numbers. Pull a valve cover while you're at it. :D

For future reference...

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php

http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm

I also found 3858180 as the closest serial number, and like you said is a 2-bolt main 327 1964-1967.
Though that doesn't really match the date in the other code in photo #2.

EDIT: Alright, did more research and you're right that the S is 1962, but it's also '63 and '64, which does match with the serial number's date! They're all 327 blocks, 250hp powerglide, passenger car.

Source here: http://chevellestuff.net/qd/engine/sb04_codes_ia_zn.htm

With that together with the serial number above, assuming it's correct, means that it's a 1964 327 block, 2-bolt main, 250 horsepower, originally mated to a powerglide in one of GM's passenger cars.

Last edited:
How did you & where did you get the block from?
Cost?

Any other pictures??

[P

I can trace this motor back to the 80's. It was originally put in this car when it was built by the Shrock Brothers...again, sometime in the 80's

A friend of mine bought the car sometime in the early 90's and shortly afterwards bought a brand new crate motor with some dress up items to put in the car

When he put the crate motor in he stuffed this one under his work bench. I come along around 94 (or there about) and buy a 1934 Studebaker project he had...

My friend threw in the 327 with the deal, so I'd have a motor for the 34. (I ended up putting a 350 TPI and 700R4 in before I had to sell the car because of a divorce).

ANYWAY...I've actually had this motor in several different cars over the last 17 or 18 years. For awhile it had a tunnel ram and two fours on it in this one...

Then I rebuilt it and had in this for a while..

More recently, I had it in this one and was ready to include it in the sale when I put it up for sale, but no one was "that" interested so I pulled it and sold the roller on here to "Fuzz" back in May

And since this is turning into a full length novel....I had a "Motors Repair Manual" that said it was a 64 327 out of a passenger car......and that is what I've believed for the last 17 or 18 years. I did have it listed on the local Craigslist as a "1964 date 327". I figured it would be a good one if someone was looking for the correct date motor for a restoration project. Anyway, I get a guy who wants a 64 motor, and asks me what the casting number was...I got 385 out of my mouth and he starts going off on me saying it's not a 64 327 because that's the wrong casting number and I should know what I'm selling before listing something....basically was a complete A-hole and all but hung up on me (only reason he didn't was because I hung up on him :D)

So there's my story...I just wanted to confirm that I really did have a 64 motor like I thought and I knew I could count on you guys to help. That's why I love this site!

Doc and Kush....thank you! Over the weekend I will wire brush things a little better and get some more pics to help confirm what I already believe...and your help was the back up

32 Bowtie Rat..."Other pics"....as I pulled it from the 40 (except for the carb that was pulled to be freshened up for my 6 cylinder

Ok guys...finally got back to the garage and got a few more pics...hopefully these will help. these are all the casting numbers I found

Latest posts

Back