cowl steering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The BMW box is a natural. It is from mid '70's I think and came on model 2002 cars. If my Son shoots me some pictures of the one he was using I will post them.

Don

Ok, my Kid got me a couple of shots of his when he was going to use the BMW box. Here goes...............not very good pictures, but all he has. BTW, the arm points down and the shaft is long enough to center the steering wheel on you when you are driving, and yet extend outside the cowl.

Don

Attachments

• bmw box.jpg
    bmw box.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 271
  • bmw box 2.jpg
    bmw box 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 274
It would be nice to have a thread with the dimensions for various boxes,
for cowl steering.

Specifically,the amount of offset,left to right,from the input shaft
to the pitman arm,and the length of the stock pitman arm.

Makes more sense to find the "right" box,
instead of trying to modify the "wrong" box.

Tried to get one going on the HAMB,might have the mopar dimensions there.
Somewhere.

Mopar box

I have a mopar box I am going to use. I will get some measurements and pics and post later tonight.

Here is a couple more shots of mine. I still need to extend the pitman shaft. run the power steering lines ect.

Attachments

• 100_0270.jpg
    100_0270.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 100_0271.jpg
    100_0271.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_0272.jpg
    100_0272.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 141
mopar box for cowl steering

Here's a few pics of the box i have.100_1119 (Medium).jpg

looking at the box from the way it would be mounted itis 6 3/4" from the center of the steering shaft to the center of the pitman arm.100_1120 (Medium).jpg

the aluminum housing is 8 3/4" wide x 71/2" deep x 71/2" tall.100_1122 (Medium).jpg

The pitman arm is 51/4" center to center(too short). I saw where someone had cut the round splined piece off the pitman arm then tigged it inside a piece of DOM tubing to extend outside of cowl then made a new pitman arm the correct length.

Hope this helps a little. when i get mine done i will post pics but it will be about a month or so.

this is what I'm going to do also

Here's a few pics of the box i have.View attachment 12111

looking at the box from the way it would be mounted itis 6 3/4" from the center of the steering shaft to the center of the pitman arm.View attachment 12112

the aluminum housing is 8 3/4" wide x 71/2" deep x 71/2" tall.View attachment 12113

The pitman arm is 51/4" center to center(too short). I saw where someone had cut the round splined piece off the pitman arm then tigged it inside a piece of DOM tubing to extend outside of cowl then made a new pitman arm the correct length.

Hope this helps a little. when i get mine done i will post pics but it will be about a month or so.

2008_0205Johns0041.jpg

Here's one I'm working on now. The tube that is welded to the pitman arm has a large enough hole for the nut and a socket to fit inside.

2008_0205Johns0040.jpg

The steering box is from a Toyota FJ. An eBay purchase for about $40. In my case, it is bolted to a drilled and tapped plate that will be welded to the top of the frame. It could be mounted higher on a hoop for a more traditional cowl steering location. In this installation the steering box will be under the floor footboard and inside the firewall so it won't show at all.

2008_0205Johns0042.jpg

The pitman is made out of 3/8" thick plate that I cut with an angle grinder with a cut off wheel. The big holes are made with a hole saw. I borrowed the correct reamer to taper the holes for the tie rod end. The splined end of the Toyota pitman arm was cut off and ground fairly round and welded into the thick wall tubing used to extend the pitman arm through the cowl. If I was to do a cowl steering mounted higher I would prefer the Mopar steering box other guys have shown. But, I had this one that I bought for a different project and didn't use. Nothing goes to waste around my shop. The drag link is 7/8' dia DOM with a .156" wall, drilled and tapped for 11/16" NF thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back