51 Wayfarer

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gergsggib007

Just curious if anyone has tried to do an S10 swap on a Wayfarer? I have read how others say it will work, just not found anyone who can confirm it. I am going on the premise that it will be cheaper to do that versus all of the upgrades that I would like. ie, disc brakes, rack and pinion steering. As I can get a rolling frame for next to nothing. Any input would be welcome, or if I am just off of my rocker for thinking this. I know some will say to keep it old skool but I am wanting the best of both worlds new and improved. Also want to drop an LS in it, again I know there are those that will be offended because I don't want to go all Dodge. Sorry for that I mean it is mine, I really just need some advice. Thank you in advance for any and all of your help.

Welcome to RRR, tell us a little about yourself. You can build your Dodge any way you want to, we aren't judgmental on this site. Start a build thread and we'll all follow along.

Welcome to the site. Two things that can make the s10 frame difficult to use is the steering box is way out front on the frame and not far behind the front wheels the frame gets very wide, the early bodies like the Wayfarer are narrow. Get your measuring tape out and do some checking . It may be you will have to use just a front frame section and splice it into the Wayfarer frame..start a build thread so we can watch and help.

I do plan to start a build thread right now I am trying to gather all of my info and see where my start will be. It will be soon. Thanks for the input so far this has been the most informative site to date I have found. And I look forward to hearing your input..........

Your premise is a little misguided. The S-10 swap is WAY more trouble than it is worth. The rolling frame you can get for next to nothing will still need completely rebuilt - $$$. The fitment to your Wayfarer will require extensive cutting and fabrication, and may not work at all. On top of that the gains are zero - it is still a leaf rear/IFS front that actually won't ride as good as the Dodge. The early Mopar suspension design was pretty advanced for their day and with a few tweaks they are very serviceable for modern driving. Disc swap kits are readily available and use over the counter parts. Cavalier rack and pinion steering is a easy swap as well. You will more than likely spend less than making a 20 year old abused S-10 chassis swap-worthy, and it will definitely be less work. Not to mention your body fits that stock Dodge chassis just perfect. ;)

I knew about the available upgrades out there I was hoping to circumvent that with the s10. But your points are very well taken and open a new direction for me. So as to the Cavalier what year would I look for? Or is there a site I could go to. I tried the search engine here and it did not pull up enough info for my little brain. The disc swap I have resigned to getting an after market kit. Thank you again for the input and I do look forward to more ideas.....

That car has a pretty good boxed frame. I put a Camaro sub under mine. I split the frame so I could slide the Camaro frame back into the dodge frame. After it was squared up and welded in, I plated it with 1/4 inch. A S10 rear end fits real nice, and if you can find a 02 up, 8.5 10 bolt, would make it nicer. I hate the S10 frame under anything, but that's just my opinion.

Attachments

• dodge6.jpg
    dodge6.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 16

Latest posts

Back