Timed relay?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Is there such a thing? I want to wire a 12v electric fuel pump up on my transfer tank so that I can turn it on and forget about it. I usually do anyway so with a relay that's timed it will **** it off for me. But I have no clue if such a thing excist. Anybody know how I can achieve this?

There are lots of relays out there most are timed delay "on". A double throw would give you a "on" to shut off function, the problem is most don't give a long adjustment time. Google 12v timed relay. A inline pressure switch would be better, when flow stops the pump shuts off but finding something fuel rated may be difficult.

The flow switch wouldn't work as I want it to shut off before it runs transfer tank empty. The transfer tanks holds 50 gallons and I'm pumping it into my stock tank that holds 37 gallons.

I will do some more research and see what I can find. Thanks

I had a truck one time that had a idle timer on the dash. It worked just like a timer on a old microwave, you turned the knob to how many minutes you wanted it to idle, when it counted down, it would shut the truck down. You might be able to find one of those, or even adapt an old microwave timer.

how does a low fuel light work ?? maybe rig that into your tank to shut off when light goes off ... only have he light sender at the top of the tank instead of the bottom when the light goes out the pump will go off ... just a thought ..this may be to much candy for a dime :D

Both interesting ideas. Not sure the low fuel light would work as I would need to get the rest of the fuel out of the tank eventually to keep going.

I did some research on the timed relays and can't find one that has a suitable time frame for what I need. 20-30 minutes would be plenty. That would be long enough to transfer enough fuel to keep going awhile and if I forgot about it it wouldn't pump enough to over flow the trucks main tank.

When I bought this truck they had 3/16" fuel line on a in line pump that can take 7/16" fittings. No clue as to why they did that but it took three months to transfer fuel. I now have 3/8" fuel line on it and it's way faster but it takes a long time to pump 35 gallons of fuel with a inline pump thru 3/8" line. Before it gets done I have forgotten about it twice now. Luckily no spills but have ran the pump dry once.

Keep the ideas comings guys.

Might look into this type of switch. Iv'e seen some that was like a egg timer with a switch in them as opposed to having a electric drive motor.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Broan-Nu...-Timer-with-Rocker-Switch-White-63W/202905920

4c033df7-071e-44b1-8ec6-8b6b30ded3f8_400.jpg

yep you could rig the light on your tank and when it got down low enough to turn on light the pump would suck out of the other tank automatically till yours was full again then the light or switch would go off .. it will suck till your other tank is dry . but it still may be to much work involved , got to be an easy-er solution

The flow switch wouldn't work as I want it to shut off before it runs transfer tank empty. The transfer tanks holds 50 gallons and I'm pumping it into my stock tank that holds 37 gallons.

I will do some more research and see what I can find. Thanks
Can you get one of those volume counters like the oil filler at Jiffylube? Set it to transfer X-amount of fuel, and it shuts off when it hits the setting.

not sure if the time frame is long enough but take a look at the turbo timers, ultimately they are switching a relay. The apexi 's have some really cool countdowns and are about $18.00

DEI (viper, hornet) makes a timed relay 528T that is activated by a pulse and is adjustable for time up to 60 seconds. it is only rated for 15A so if your pump has a higher draw you will need a second standard bosch type relay.

if you need more than 60 seconds you can either pulse the 528t a second time, or those light timers will work also, simple switches dont really know what power they are switching so it doesnt matter (in this case) that they are 120VAC, just make sure not to exceed the wattage of the switch, which is voltage*amps, then divide by 12 to get the 12VDC current capability.

Could you fabricate something on the idea of a Float switch? Place a float in the tank being filled, similar to some fuel tank senders. Make a switch that operates off when the float rises to a certain level for cutting the pump off? Off the wall maybe but might be feasible. Lots of cut-off switches work on pressure which would be hard to duplicate while just trying to fill a stock tank.

If you google things related to 555 timer circiuts, you will find a lot of circuits and timer kits that can be made to be adjustable from milliseconds to hours. You will have to be a little electronically oriented and be willing to do some soldering and fabrication, but you could make an adjustable timer that could control a relay that could conrol your pump.

Check out the Allen-Bradley line of timer relays. Configured to just about any voltage and adjustable for different time periods. If it's available they would make it.

Float Switch...

Could you fabricate something on the idea of a Float switch? Place a float in the tank being filled, similar to some fuel tank senders. Make a switch that operates off when the float rises to a certain level for cutting the pump off? Off the wall maybe but might be feasible. Lots of cut-off switches work on pressure which would be hard to duplicate while just trying to fill a stock tank.

This is good advice and easy to do. Once the liquid reaches the required level, the float tips and opens the contacts.

Attachments

• MFS.JPG
    MFS.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back