Tetanus Tornado 49 F6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to have to change plans a little. I can't seem to get enough room in the cab for my legs, or the brake pedals. I don't have enough room over the top of the radiator for clearance of the hood and radiator shell.So i'm thinking that I have to cut the floor structure out and raise the cab the three and a half inches that I originaly wanted to section off of the bottom of the cab. I thought this would have been easier since most of that three and a half inches was already rotted way. plus I thought it would better with the five inch chop.So now it looks like just one more mistake I have to do over. seems like I do everything at least 2 and sometimes 4 time. On an other note the 33 chevy radiator shell I picked up has most of the dents knocked out of it but it neither fits inside nor outside the the frame horns. so they may have to be cut off. needless to say I'm pretty disgusted with these situations and with myself. It feels like 1 step forward 3 steps back.

Post up a few pictures of what you're having problems with. The cab from the inside, and the grill from the front and side.

Just for a point of reference my F 6 build has a 4" chop with a 6" channel. Basicly I channeled it just enough to cover the frame.
I am 6'2" and anything much lower would cause some problems.

Don't get discouraged. I can't tell you how many times I have made mistakes or taken mine apart to redo something. Sometimes that is just part of the process.:confused: Some times it isn't.:D If it was easy, every one would be doing it. Thats why you see so many unfinished projects for sale.
Take a deep breath and go at it again. You will get.
Torchie.
p.s. I wouldn't cut off the frame horns just yet. They look good. You may just want to look for a different grill shell.

We've all been there where something doesn't pan out like you think it will.
Take a break and then get back on finding a solution, no giving up, and don't let it get to you!

thanks for all the kind replies guys. I know I will get it to work. I just was having a very low day. It really helps with all the encouragement. I had thought of the notching of the grill shell and possibly narrow the insides of the frame horns or both. This isn't the first rework on this thing and I'm sure it won't be the last. I've looked it over and I think the best thing to do is raise the cab to where the floor is only channeled to the point of the bottom of the doors being flush with the bottom of the 4" frame. That will gain me 3 1/2" or so. I will try to get some pictures up in a couple of days. I've been up since 3:00 plowing and sanding roads so I'm in no shape to work on it tonight. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Keep After It!

thanks for all the kind replies guys. I know I will get it to work. I just was having a very low day. It really helps with all the encouragement. I had thought of the notching of the grill shell and possibly narrow the insides of the frame horns or both. This isn't the first rework on this thing and I'm sure it won't be the last. I've looked it over and I think the best thing to do is raise the cab to where the floor is only channeled to the point of the bottom of the doors being flush with the bottom of the 4" frame. That will gain me 3 1/2" or so. I will try to get some pictures up in a couple of days. I've been up since 3:00 plowing and sanding roads so I'm in no shape to work on it tonight. Thanks again for the encouragement.

It sounds like you are already heading in the right direction. Stay after it, you will be victorious!:cool::cool:

Here are a couple pics of the truck with the hood on and the grill shell leaning against it. the plan is to cut the front off the hood and narrow it to meet the grill shell's width with the shell being moved back to the crossmember and between frame horns. I asked my daughter if it could be photo shopped but she said we would have to buy a program so that will have to wait. I'm going to cut the floor framing out tomorrow and raise the cab 3 1/2 inches in order to give me a little more leg room and room for the pedal set from the mustang.

screwed up the pics again

Attachments

• f-6 rat rod 157.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 157.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 56
  • f-6 rat rod 160.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 160.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 55
  • f-6 rat rod 161.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 161.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 64
  • f-6 rat rod 162.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 162.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 61
  • f-6 rat rod 163.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 163.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 61
  • f-6 rat rod 164.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 164.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 59
  • f-6 rat rod 165.jpg
    f-6 rat rod 165.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 55
Well I cut the floor out and moved the cab up so that the bottoms of the doors are even with the bottom of the frame. This gained me 3 1/2" of drop in the footwell and that sets the ground clearance of the cab and frame at 7''. after that I sat the 33 chevy grill shell in place and cut up a junk hood to see what it may look like. what do you think.

I can't figure out how to load pictures. I'll have to wait till the kids get home from school to help me out. On another note I got an email from a guy about a 36 ford truck grill. It looks to be in ok condition and has the stainless trim ring, he wants $300 for it plus shipping, does anyone know if this is a reasonable price? I think it would look better on this truck than the chevy one I have and should be a lot less work.

I cant help you with the value of the grill, but i can say i really like the way its coming out. Looks great!! I also love the whitewall tires, what size are those?

-Chris

I can't remember the tire sizes off the top of my head. I'll get out to the garage later and try to get them for ya. On loading pictures, after I choose a file I can't find anything to click on to upload the photo. what am I missing.

Latest posts

Back