Buick straight 8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Anybody have any experience with a 30's- 40's Buick straight 8? I found a 39 Buick sedan with the straight 8 that the wife wants to go look at. It a 3 on the tree. Not a bad looking car for a 4 door, kinda ugly in the front though. It's supposed to be a running and driveable car. I know it would have a closed driveline, that would have to go. I'd like to find a Nailhead and turbo 400 out of a 65-66 Buick to keep it all Buick, or maybe a 455 from a later 225 or Electra. May go look at it Sat, don't know yet if I'll have time or not.

I'm not sold on it yet. It's funky looking in the front, plus it's a 4 door. If she likes it well enough, I might go for it. Guy said he might take the Vette in trade, if not, I'm not gonna fool with it. Already got enough to finish on mine that I can't afford to do right now, not really in the mood to get another that I'm gonna have to totally rebuild to make it what I want....

The Buick straight 8 is a very smooth running engine. Since it is a stick you won't have any of the problems (read super expensive to rebuild) that you would have with a Dynaflo. The 39 would have had poured babbits and not inserts, however, all 263s had inserts and the rods are interchangeable. Bentsens has the adapter plates to allow any chevy transmission, stick our auto to be used. There are very few performance parts available for the straight 8. In 39 the engine could be either 248 or 320 ci.

I had a 1947 Super years ago and it was one of the best running and driving cars I have ever owned. Maximum rpm was a little over 4000, but it had plenty of torque to move over 4000 lbs easily. It also had a whopping 127 hp.

If you are going to swap out the engine you can disregard everything above:)

Thanks Bruno. I was interested to see if it was worth leaving in or swapping out since if I trade for it will be the wife's rod. Not gonna be able to go look at it today, too much other stuff to do.

Buick

As are all Buick engines, the straight 8 is an OHV design. My grandfather had them back then, and loved them. Lots of power for the time. I have seen some (in magazines) used in land speed cars, with headers and multiple carbs.

Either way, it should be fun.

440shorty

Bamamav,

If you do get it and decide to do a swap, don't overlook a 430. They're just a smaller bore than the 455 but are still up around 375hp and 480 lb-ft. I love my Buick 455, and the 430 is the same engine with slightly smaller pistons but higher compression.

Forgot about this thread until the wife saw the car last week still on the dealers lot. I never did go look at it, figured I had enough on my plate for now.

Latest posts

Back