1937 Packard 115 coupe

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Owner brought the 302 that was intended for this car and took away the mock up motor and trans. I splashed on some black instead of the Ford blue to carry on the color theme. This one is a stock 81 302 with an Edelbrock manifold and 450 Carb. To simplify things, I put in an HEI distributor instead of the Ford Duraspark - gets rid of all the wiring, control box and separate coil, just one wire to connect. The HEI is a big beast though, barely clears the air cleaner and the intake runner below it. I'll need to get a 3/4" spacer for the carb 'cause the linkage hits the valve covers on both sides.
There's always something to tweak, keeps things from being boring....

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2517.JPG
    IMG_2517.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2516.JPG
    IMG_2516.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2518.JPG
    IMG_2518.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 95
Looks really nice ZZ. Forgive me for sticking my nose in, but you could always get one of the small HEI's.

You are right, though using the regular GM HEI means you can get parts anywhere.... (and it was cheap :D)(

Looking good, lots of GM on there Distributor and Alternator.

Uhhh, actually that's a Ford alternator :). But you're not far off, I'll be using a GM power steering pump instead of the huge fugly Ford one I had on before - oh boy, more fab work :(

Haven't done any work on the Packard for the last 3 weeks 'cause I decided to add onto my workshop to create a storage space. Too much stuff piled up in my shop and other shed! This makes up for what I was forced to cut off the shop when I built it when a nosy jealous neighbor finked on me to the city for not getting a permit. For the addition, I put down a paving stone floor and none of the structure is actually attached to the main building, even the siding is only tucked into the moulding of the shop, thereby making it a "temporary" structure [ddd:rolleyes:

Before
attachment.php

After
attachment.php

Now instantly filled with stuff, confirming Murphy's law that says the amount of crap you have is directly proportionate to the size of the space you have. :(
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2522.JPG
    IMG_2522.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 56
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 54
Awesome job, looks great
Been looking at how to go about adding on to the back of my 2 car garage w/o the permit police seeing it. I'm currently at the limit of space I can have covered with my lot.

More assembly done on the chassis, plumbed the brakes, fuel line, tranny lines, put the exhaust together.

attachment.php
more
attachment.php

Need to mount the GM power steering pump next

attachment.php

Had a decent original tank, fitted a Classic Instruments sender unit into the stock piece so the original pickup tube is still used - amazingly, the 5 screw pattern is the same so I could use the new gasket that came with the sending unit. Got the driveshaft done, 88 Mustang piece just needed to shorten 3".

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2537.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2544.JPG
    IMG_2544.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2542.JPG
    IMG_2542.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 78
Awesome job, looks great
Been looking at how to go about adding on to the back of my 2 car garage w/o the permit police seeing it. I'm currently at the limit of space I can have covered with my lot.
Down here in OR, we can go up to 200 sqft without a permit. I may put one in my front yard for storage. Make it cute, so the neighborhood folks like it.

Down here in OR, we can go up to 200 sqft without a permit. I may put one in my front yard for storage. Make it cute, so the neighborhood folks like it.

I use to live east of you in Brightwood. Pulled a permit for my 36x72 pole building but not for anything smaller. Here, I'm on a postage stamp lot compared to the ole place and in the city. I've heard of some clever arguments on folks adding on.

thats one sweet looking frame. I would be hunting for a Packard straight 8... :cool:

Oh man, don't tempt me :cool:
I do have a 1949 288 Packard straight 8, with an overbore, custom forged pistons and a 327 crank it could be 342 CI, some oiling mods, hot grind cam, HEI, headers and a custom 4bbl intake, it could be a cool engine...:rolleyes:
Of course, you could also build a 450hp LS engine for the same price..:(

Oh man, don't tempt me :cool:
I do have a 1949 288 Packard straight 8, with an overbore, custom forged pistons and a 327 crank it could be 342 CI, some oiling mods, hot grind cam, HEI, headers and a custom 4bbl intake, it could be a cool engine...:rolleyes:
Of course, you could also build a 450hp LS engine for the same price..:(

Phooey!

If I was going to put a Packard engine in it, it’d be a PackardBaker supercharged V8 out of a PackardBaker Hawk or the like. Studebaker also used it in some of their cars.

Latest posts

Back