Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Have you tested the welder without the extension cord. New plug in sounds good. How about breakers, connections, any dielectric grease.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
speaking of, maybe the welding gas is the problem, I posted on the last project that I got a weird colored bottle. I noticed lately that all my welds look like blued steel instead of shiny silver like I am used to. or conversely maybe the welder is the problem, and causing the discoloration.
I'll bet my left... foot you have straight argon in that bottle and that's the whole issue!

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 07-19-2018, 06:15 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
I'll bet my left... foot you have straight argon in that bottle and that's the whole issue!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Iíll bet my right foot. Oops....... Too late👀
Old 07-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
I’ll bet my right foot. Oops....... Too late��
ah geeze!

Quote:

you may be right! I wonder if I can just leave the truck running in the garage for a while before I weld to increase the CO2 ratio. oh wait thats CO. better leave it running twice as long!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchie View Post
Iíll bet my right foot. Oops....... Too late👀
Nobody combines humor and humility better than you, Torchie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post

you may be right! I wonder if I can just leave the truck running in the garage for a while before I weld to increase the CO2 ratio. oh wait thats CO. better leave it running twice as long!
Don't do that, joe! (If you wake up, you'll wake up dead.)

Seriously, I'm quite sure you have straight argon. (The symptoms you describe are highly indicative.) I'd take that bottle back and be sure to get the 75/25 mix you should have...

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 07-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I switched to the mix tank and it works perfectly now, no more blue welds, good penetration. thanks a million for the tip! the guy swore it was mix but the proof is right there.

started on the steering column mount. doing this in 3D means a lot of checking and adapting

IMG_0433 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0432 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0435 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

that chunk of old steering column came in handy again. I used the tube on the inside and the shaft on the outside to make sure everything pointed at the steering box.

IMG_0436 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0441 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

first fit up was too far forward (into the dash), it would have worked and looked great but the column would not have tilted up.

IMG_0444 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

there was also some interference with the brake pedal, I could have trimmed the mount but sheesh it would have bothered me for years. YEARS. I moved the whole pedal up about an inch instead, and moved it out of the dash about an inch. fits mucho bueno, in fact moving it up made it line up better with the firewall hole.

IMG_0445 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0446 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the lower column mount is done now, and I built all the bracing to make it bolt to the original dash support, and added a 3" bracket on top to give it a couple more bolts to the firewall. tomorrow I will make the upper column mount. after that I will try and pound out some dents on the front clip and get a mount started unless its a million degrees outside. if its too hot I will take the pedal/column bracket out and finish weld and brace it. there is a pant load more room under the dash for wiring this time, just have to make sure to sand and pad all the sharp edges. what I really want is easier to install gauges and wipers, on the last 49 I had scratches on my forearm from reaching through the speaker opening to install everything because access from the bottom was NIL.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Rocket Surgeon

I'm glad you have the cure! ( There's NOTHING worse than a welder that won't listen. )

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan
Old 07-23-2018, 01:34 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Back in business. Terrific. Nice job Doc with the cure. Column fab look'n good Joe.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:27 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
There's NOTHING worse than a welder that won't listen. )
hmmm, you sound like Mrs.Dutch...

Glad you got it fixed joedoh