Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Rat Rods Rule / Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Gas tank to floor pan

Not sure I really have the nerve to post something here in the Tech Tips, but don't know where else this might go.

I was loading up a bunch of scrap yesterday, and this morning I thought I'd better cut the old gasoline tank open, because I'd heard that they won't take a complete one. (This one has been open & setting for over 6 years, so there's no way it was going to explode, but sure enough, I over heard the guy at the scales calling someone about if they can accept them. When I told him that I'd cut it in half, he was cool.)

Anyway, when I got it open I immediately thought "This looks awful much like a floor pan." It already has the curved corners, so you could drop it down easily. I didn't keep this one, because not only do I not have space (and don't foresee needing one), but while the inside looks like new, the outside is badly rusted. This is off of a 93 Chrysler T & C minivan. Here in the rust-belt you would have to either get one from a fairly new (wrecked) vehicle, or go outside this area. (You can see which is the top by the fuel gauge hole.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0970-small.JPG (64.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0972-small.JPG (50.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Looks like that should work really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

You got to be some careful cutting that lol
1971 ct 70
Piles of rusty junk
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 AM
Brother Rat

Since you are just cutting it open, filling it with water and using a recip-saw or even cuttoff wheel would be alright wouldn't it? as long as you stayed below the water line? Then trim it up after you crack it open.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear View Post
Since you are just cutting it open, filling it with water and using a recip-saw or even cuttoff wheel would be alright wouldn't it? as long as you stayed below the water line? Then trim it up after you crack it open.
That's what I would have done if I was opening it up soon after removing it. But in this case, it had sat in my shop for 6 years or more with the gas gauge out, so it was open, both there, and also at the filler neck. There was no gasoline smell left. (I used a saws-all.)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:03 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I cut up the gas tank out of my S10 donor truck to make my transmission cover. It already had rust holes in it from rain water, so I figured it was safe to slice up. Fortunately I was right.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:57 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Very cool idea I like that a lot !!!

a good decent squirt from a CO2 extinguisher is what I used to use before welding repaired motorcycle fuel tanks.. or run a car exhaust in them for 20 mins, water and volts don't go quite so well/

the greatest victory is to live
Old 07-23-2018, 04:23 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I do bike tank repairs / customizing pretty often, and usually fill em with water and soap ,shake it a bit and flush it out. I leave it like that when tanks have not been used for a long time or maybe stick in a torch if I don`t trust it. Tanks which have been used shortly before, I wash and hook up the argon bottle before cutting.
I don`t touch modern tanks full of pipes and secret chambers tho. I`ve done a lot of tanks but they still get my adrenalin going.

drilling a hole and useing a nibbler should work fine on a car tank imo