Eastern Washington New to Site

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buildit

Hey,
I am a designer fabricator and have built a wide variety of items over the years from large set props and architectural details to hot rod stuff. I run a small facility where we design and build anything that our customers need.

I have been very slowly working on my hot rod but find myself putting it on the back burner more than working on it. It is a 1929 Studebaker coupe that has a lot of issues with rust, most do. It was partially buried so one side is paper thin and the door was crushed like it had been driven over.

I like high end craftsmanship but am very appreciative of creativity, making a hot rod or maybe a gentleman's rat gives me the opportunity to build with no rules. I call it a hot rod, but I know there is a lot of different people that would call it something else.

I was out looking for some information on Ford wide five wheels and landed on this site and I like what I see.

So thanks to all for posting some much information, it is truly amazing to see everyone's projects.

Hello and welcome to RRR from northern Alberta. We'll need pictures, especially of a '29 Stude coupe. This is a great group to be part of, they've kept me motivated, informed and entertained.

Welcome to RRR from Ky. This is the most helpful and non judgmental site on the web. Waiting for those pics[P[P[P[P

Glad you found us. Everyone here seems to be very helpful as well as full of...........knowledge. I am in for a few pics myself. I "need" to get my Stude fix daily [I drive a 32 Dictator sedan] . Bring it on. [P [P [cl

Pics of Studebaker Dictator

Ok, first post with pics from my iPad. It looks like one picture at a time?

This is the rear section, I do not have a rear deck lid but plan to make one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 13
Another pic

This is some of the worst cancer, the metal around is so thin I think I am going to try and make the panel. The car had been through a fire, there was two pieces of chared wood still left and only a trace of paint on the widow pillars.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 14
Pic of fire wall

This was in decent shape, doors rusted in place and you can see the driver's door was crushed from the inside that bowed the whole door out. That is the window regulator sticking out flattening the bottom of the window opening.

At the top of the A pillar you can see the only paint on the entire body. You can also see how the passenger door top had been bent up, kind of like it was lifted by a chain by that door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 12
Door work pic

This shows how the door was crushed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 10
Metal door panels

The doors have no wood parts, here is the inside of the door. I removed this panel and started flattening it, but decided to go scrap them and make my own.

See next pic, wish I could load more than one at a time. :mad::confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 11
Door panel fab

Made this from .040 aluminum, sheared it then bead rolled it, then cut out the openings with a jig saw. Ya, a jig saw. I put the panel on top of a piece of foam insulation to back up the saw and allow the blade to just cut into the foam and not my bench.

There is a stiffener behind the center rows of Clecos and the upper raised cover will house my door latch mechanism. Trying to make it look more complicated.

I designed some door latch mechanisms that use some stock bushings, springs and shoulder bolts from McMaster Carr and I had the bodies water-jet cut out of aluminum. I do not have a picture of them, they are still in pieces, hope they work. Was not a cheap solution.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 13
Just realized I should have started a build thread, newbie

Sorry, should have posted these in a build thread, can a moderator pull that off?

Thanks for all of the welcomes from across the country and border.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back