Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If those are the same mufflers a local guy ran, it will be surprisingly quiet.

I have Jones Full Boar chambered mufflers on my 62 Bel Air with a mild 350. They're a Flowmaster copy that came with the exhaust kit I bought for it. They are pretty loud and aggressive, especially for 2-1/4". I would be amazed if the 3" bullets are quiet.

I personally know only one other builder as good as you. And you are ten times faster without sacrificing design or quality.[cl
Coming from you Bob, that means a lot - thanks!

Got the steering column mounted today, had to shorten it 4", which took some head scratching to get done without messing up a brand new part...[S[;)
Whittled up an upper mount from a piece of 1" aluminum bar, bolted to the roll bar crossmember and added a lower mount to keep the u-joint happy...
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 65
Todays project, mounting the rear bumper. I didn't want to cut holes in the rear pan like the stock setup so I chopped up some original bumper irons and reimagined them to come out just under it, tucked in about 6" closer to the body than stock.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 57
Worked on the dash today - I don't have any original dash parts and was missing the center panel so custom it is...:D
Filled the left side panel and mounted the speedo and tach, made a new center panel to hold the other gauges - ignition and other switches will go there later. Filled the clock hole in the glove box lid. I also reworked the top bar of the cage with a bit of a curve at each end to get it above the front window...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 42
Popped the cage out to work on some of the more mundane but necessary things. Chopped and reformed the window garnish mouldings, made and installed the tack strip rails around the perimeter of the roof for the headliner, made the bows for the headliner and a couple braces to keep the roof from weebling in the wind. Also bracing to keep the rear window in place and tie it all to the door frames - basically making from steel what was once wood...[;)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 88
Starting on making the trunk lid, fortunately I have the original hinges, but thats it... First step is to make a perimeter frame of 3/4 tube - to that I will add a sheetmetal strip that follows the edge of the opening. Then the fun job begins - cutting the skin to size and crimping it around the edge of the perimeter strip.... Pretty much how the original lid was made, except the framing was wood.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 88
Back to work on the trunk lid. Had eye surgery last week so it's kinda hard to weld or do just about anything for a while - depth perception is way off but it will get better.....
Adapted a trunk latch mechanism from a 36 sedan lid, still need to find the right handle.
Added sheet metal pieces to the perimeter of the frame, the skin will get folded over it.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0207.jpg
    IMG_0207.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 52
Got the skin attached, not exactly a pro job, far from it, in fact. My little Eastwood english wheel is not the best for this size of sheet and not having a helper to wheel it was a real problem. Adding to the fun is the extremely malleable nature of this particular roof skin resulting in a whole lot of ridges and unhappy spots. Buzzed the paint off, now a couple days of hammer and dolly therapy should make it more presentable - definitely need a little help at the end from Mr. Bondo... :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back