Second Wind - a Packard Gasser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may not be a pro job but you did something that would stump most home builders. Nice work.

Thanks Colin - I had my DNA sequenced and they discovered I have a mutated gene that causes extreme stubborness... :D

Looking better today - spent a few hours with my planishing hammer ironing out some of the wrinkles and getting the right 'bubble' shape, had to remove the center rib to get it done, then added a couple more. Also made a simple prop to support it. If I was to do this again, I would have just used the planishing hammer from the start - live and learn...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 46
looking good :)
The biggest problem with large panels is their weight. No way to tackle gravity on the e-wheel when you`re alone and any help needs to have shaper dna as well...

Thanks Colin - I had my DNA sequenced and they discovered I have a mutated gene that causes extreme stubborness... :D

Looking better today - spent a few hours with my planishing hammer ironing out some of the wrinkles and getting the right 'bubble' shape, had to remove the center rib to get it done, then added a couple more. Also made a simple prop to support it. If I was to do this again, I would have just used the planishing hammer from the start - live and learn...

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Ha, I can relate.

Looks like it's coming along!

We have liftoff!! Time to blow it all apart and make all the pieces purty and ready for painting. First need to finish all the welding on the underside of the body, then tear the chassis apart to finish all the frame welding, etc.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 68
All torn down, temporarily reassembled the cage so I can add connecting tabs between the front shock towers and the front downtubes.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 63
Got the connection made between the front downtubes and the shock mounts, also added tabs for removeable door bars, if I decide to add them later..
Cage off again, final welding to do on the frame then cleanup for painting.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg