A Little Miffed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

My Wife and I recently attended a car show. We do not have an entry but enjoy looking at other peoples and sharing the camaraderie of being a car guy. When asked what projects I had there seemed to be a "nose up" attitude because my projects didn't meet the criteria. I thought the criteria was being there and working on car/trucks/boats/bicycles, whatever you have and can afford. We have a home, a few daily driver vehicles, put 2 kids through college and had a wedding for my Daughter. I can not afford an old 4 or 5K project. I couldn't justify a 5K non project right now. I wish I could but the best I can do is 80's. I think with the talk of hot rodding as we know it is changing with the younger generation not seeming to have the same passion we have for these old beauties anyone showing interest would be welcomed no matter how they got there. I do thank you all for letting me participate even though my 80's vehicles do not fit into the Rat Rod theme yet. In 2090 it will fit in just fine. I will never not be a car guy. I will not let things like this change me but it did hurt a bit. And let me add, it wasn't everyone but someone who looked to be a big shot at this show. There were many very nice people there but this kinda ruined the experience. We will not attend that show again. Thanks for listening. Jim

redidbull: You can please some of the people some of the time
but you can't please all the people all the time....;) Don't let it
discourage you, head up and do what you can do with what you
have to work with....some are lucky and can have and do what
they want, some take a second, third mortgage to have what
they want..then there' the rest of us that believe family and
responsibility come first and wants take a back seat....
I do understand having the bug in your blood and not being
able to do anything except be a spectator at times....
hang tough brother and enjoy what you do have...

redidbull: You can please some of the people some of the time
but you can't please all the people all the time....;) Don't let it
discourage you, head up and do what you can do with what you
have to work with....some are lucky and can have and do what
they want, some take a second, third mortgage to have what
they want..then there' the rest of us that believe family and
responsibility come first and wants take a back seat....
I do understand having the bug in your blood and not being
able to do anything except be a spectator at times....
hang tough brother and enjoy what you do have...

X2 Well said FBP

I know you aren't including all people because of being snubbed.
The majority of us like and include anyone who is interested in the things we are fortunate enough to have as our hobby.
There are a few that insist on ruining the experience of others which makes themselves feel important.
I steer clear of those people and if they insist on hanging with us, I have a split personality called Walter, nicknamed by my friends, (Jeff Dunham's puppet) who quickly educates them as to the correct way to treat others.
Brush it off and don't let them be the ones to influence your fun.

Like Walter, I've found it necessary to put a few people in their place. [ddd

If you have no skills, knowledge, experience, living brain cells or visible personality, you might be a critic.

Every car show I've ever been to has some egomaniacs, blowhards and critics. (It comes with the territory, unfortunately.) I've personally known two wealthy guys who host car shows. I don't like either of those people, but I can enjoy their shows without speaking to them or pretending to support them. (Proceeds to charity.)

What's my point? I've worked and displayed at more car shows than I care to remember. I've disliked many of those shows for many reasons, but I remind myself why I'm there... it's a car show, not a people show. Good cars, not so good cars, good people, not so good people, all are present and will be at the next car show.

Car show snobs are everywhere... just ignore them! This was one of the krazzzziest things I've seen at a car show! Why didn't he just leave it home in the garage?!? [S

BoB

Attachments

• ropes.jpg
    ropes.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 45
Cars shows wouldn't be complete without at least one A-hole that tries to rain on our fun. Don't EVER let this guy mess up your good time. He doesn't deserve the energy it takes you to be upset.

My first hot rod was not cool when I built it, but now it is. Where ever it is. If it still is. Hotrodding has always been people building what the can. It will always be that way. When you go to that show next year, you will be armed and armored to deal with Mr. A-hole. Go and have fun.:D

Thanks for having my back understanding what I experienced. It is just strange that this is the only time in over 40years I experienced this. Closes thing was a woman yelling at my then maybe 8 years old Son who was looking at her car and she thought he was too close to it. He had been to alot of shows and knew not to touch. The guy next to her had a big ole Caddy and purposely had my Son sit in it. I think he had over heard her. My Daughter around 26 at the time had a guy tell her she could sit in his Rat. He only told her 1 thing, don't mess up the dust and dirt on the dash! :) No Old Iron you guys have been nothing but fantastic to me. This is one of my daily go to forums. Love the skill. Thanks again all. Jim

it really doesn`t matter with what kind of ride you go to a show. Go with a rat and there`s always some idiot sticking up his nose as high as it gets and if you go with a 1500hrs shiny bad a$$ street machine there`s always some idiot with a pinto in the parkinglot who feels the need to tell you what`s wrong with the car... I hate car shows...

oh well... if you are nothing and pretend nothing, yer twice nothing...

I have never had a car in a show but have been to many. I would never think of telling someone what I didn't like bout their vehicle. It is personalized. Jim

My technique is I don't hang around my car when it is in a show or at a cruise in. That way I don't hear what the critics and experts have to say about it.

I'm out walking around looking at other cars, not sitting by mine.

Although I'm thinking of setting up an autograph table; giving out signed pictures of my car.:D

Last edited:
I do just the opposite of bobw, I like to hang around and hear the "experts" talk. You can always tell the ones who don't really know but make a honest guess from the know it alls who act like they know what they're talking about. I like to mess with the know it alls brains, tell them some off the wall crap, then watch them go away like they know something. Really works great when you have a buddy as crazy as you tell them something totally different!

I sometimes walk away then come back after a while and pretend to be taking pix. I find it entertaining to hear the comments when they don't think that i am the owner. :D I am confused tho by the many who park in the lineup then set up their chairs and never make even one pass to see what else is at the show.:confused:

I think I mentioned it before that I'm not big on shows. Some of the things you guys mentioned are some of the reasons why. Mostly I don't get anything out of big crowds myself. Hate getting stuck in the throngs of people in a hurry and going nowhere. I enjoy being able to get in and go. I've lived here for 67 years and haven't made one of the biggest shows in the world(Turkey Rod Run} yet. I get to see most of the cars that go there. I'm on one of the main roads leading there. All I have to do is cruise around this area and see more than most on any day. It's bad enough getting slowed by the traffic on the days of the shows. Guess I'm just getting old but it's never been a big deal to me. I built mine to ride. It has a mini show going on whenever it's parked. And since I built it the way I wanted it to be, not too many comments by others seem to bother me at all. I've been driving it for going on 4 years now, probably close to 35,000 miles. That's hard to verify because I've been thru 3 speedometers now....heheh!

It takes all kinds, to make up the world and each and every one has an opinion. Most car shows have two groups the purests that can’t open their minds to creativity and then the rest of us that can look at things for what they are and how they got there. The closet city to me has a club that consists of the first group of people and wants nothing to do with the amazing creations we enjoy on this site.

Letting someone's opinion get to you that much is kinda silly IMO, yet alone letting it dictate what you want to do in the future.

Regardless, I never understood the attraction of sitting in a parking lot anyway. It's mostly a "look at me" fest, and certainly not somewhere to be if your good time hinges on the approval of others. If these cars really are built to drive, then be about it. It's pretty hard to hear someone else's opinion at full throttle...

Latest posts

Back