Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MIL bought a newer CRV today. looks like I am on the hook to sell the old one.

cut the cab up, I want seat belts in this one, its the number one request. I wanted the seat belt reel mount and couldnt get the lower torx out so I creatively cut the cab so I could keep the parts together till I could get that torx out.

IMG_0242 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

IMG_0252 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the old sculptor saying is "chip away everything that is not the elephant", so I applied that theory to the bed.

IMG_0246 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just because my forklift cant go to the mountain, I brought the mountain to my forklift. hooked it on the trailer hitch and drug it like a trailer.

IMG_0250 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

just imagine doing this without a forklift!

IMG_0256-2 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

any guesses on weight?

IMG_0257-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

get within 50 lbs and you win both showcases. tomorrow (maybe tonight) I will pull the cab back off and remove the motor/trans to build new mounts.

Joe, I love this idea with your truck hauler, ramps mounted on each side. Would make a temporary bed.

Dave

thats my father in laws truck, he had a trike that rode on it, and they both got towed behind the motor home. no one wanted the truck because it was a rollemup with rubber floor interior and a std cab too. perfect for me and beeps. I have used the crap out of the truck and the ramps. [cl

well I have been pretty busy but have been chipping away. my intent was to do all the wiring and try for a start but I realized I was rushing. I would have pulled the front clip back off to finish the inners, brake lines are easier done with the clip off, motor mounts still had temp bolts, etc etc.

so I did what I could in between work and 5 year old. first I bought some more stuff, I scored a bunch of 1938 parts including some super duper rare 1939 truck rear fenders. they are the ones everyone wants for hot rods because they are slightly wider. then I bought a steering wheel, I was going to modify the original GMC wheel to have some dish but I spotted one of those speedway wheels unfinished on ebay for a song.

this actually helped me galvanize on the colors for the truck. I was leaning towards red body with white top, red wheels and red interior. but since I have black headliner and door panels, I decided on red body all one color, red interior and BLACK wheels. so I painted the wheel red and black.

IMG_1504 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
56049229066__B90FDCEB-F1BA-40FC-81A0-84E2401A3077 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I have the little chrome rings for the wheel, should look pretty good. I have one small blemish about 2 oclock where the paint wasnt dry enough and the hanger dug in a bit, gotta wait for some sun for the UV to cure the paint before I can sand it.

I finished up the windshield repair. this corner was mostly gone.

IMG_1326 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

since I had so much experience with base clear I went ahead and did the dash.

IMG_1327 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
56012676354__A9FB284D-531C-45DE-88AE-0C0D1BE4BC7E by Joe Doh, on Flickr

covered for the duration.
56019190819__971ECD7D-4F23-45FA-8310-AEFE2F27279A by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I figure I want to put the glass in soon so I painted the windshield frame and cowl.
IMG_1477 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1507 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

finished up the inners and got some paint on them too. that hole is necessary for the AC lines, to get wrenches on them. I cover that area with rubber sheeting so water doesnt get in.

IMG_1478 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1479 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

did the brakes, for you swappers taking off the abs is easy, you just need 3 tube fittings and a 3 way bubble flare union. the rear line unscrews from the abs unit and screws right into the prop valve, then you tee the fronts by adding the three tube fittings and the union. ( I used a new piece of pipe because my line was kinked)

IMG_1525 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

trans tunnel time. got it final trimmed and started building the hump. progression pics show how I did it, I got the hump roughed in and started screwing it down an inch or so at a time till it had flanged itself. work smarter not harder right? then I tacked it all together and pulled the screws, put it through the kansas bodywork machine (my 5 lb sledge) until it had the desired shape. thats where I am right now.

IMG_1481 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1551 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1553 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1555 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1556 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1560-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1564 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1565-1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

thanks fellows!

finished the tunnel, its all sealed up now and fits perfectly.

IMG_1572 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got more minor stuff done, pulled the pedal bracket for the last time and after sanding the rough spots off the edges I painted it black on the bottom and silver on top (so you can see stuff on top)

IMG_1573 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I needed to install that bracket and my wife was somewhere in the yard so I texted her for help just sticking the bolts through the holes while I lifted it in place. she said "ok sure" and after a half hour I just went ahead and did it myself.

56072659769__D0706F67-B866-4236-B3AD-9B6BB41C0BB1 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

with that bracket installed I got the steering all hooked up and working. the steering column is like a ROCK now, the way I braced the pedal bracket to the firewall, the dash brace, and the dash made it more solid than even that complicated interface bracket I used to make. the double D shaft I ordered was no kidding just 1/2" too long, thats all I trimmed off. the spindles threw the toe and camber out too so I got everything straight and adjusted the tie rods to give it a slight toe in and a couple degrees camber.

IMG_1604 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1603 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

with the column in I needed the shifter cable. I welded in the little piece I cut out of the s10 floor and bobs your uncle.

IMG_1575 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

got the HVAC installed too, inside and out

IMG_1577 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1578 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

there is room inside for the blower housing so thats where its going.

I also got the pedals in, the gas pedal needed some tweaking but works perfectly now, full travel and room for carpet under it.

I havent heard from the seat guy, which isnt like him, so I may stop by there monday.

Are you adding a bathroom also at the moment like several of us :cool: :D

haha no, the house is pretty well done except the rear porch. I am just busy with work and other stuff. we had a busy weekend, wedding on saturday and pumpkin patch on sunday. the wedding was in rural southwest kansas and as it happens was 3 miles from the 2 52s I bought, so I went by for some pictures in the sun. I hadnt really seen them in person. they are both in pretty good shape with only the small amount of rust in the kicks. I wont grow rusticles in my beard fixing these like the last ones, glad I paid up. the larger is a 1 1/2 ton but I just got a blue 1/2 ton front end a few weeks ago, and those extra beds before that.

IMG_1839 (1) by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1834 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1832 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1811 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1809 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1806 (1) by Joe Doh, on Flickr

they dont even need cab corners! and the "curse of the green truck" (I can buy any truck as long as its green) continues, the 1 ton is a green truck that someone painted blue somewhere in history. but that door art is fantastic, and its a wichita truck from history too.

I also went on a short trip in my beloved M3 to pick up the 38 motor dust pans and lever shocks I left behind when I bought those 38 parts. halfway into the 90 minute drive I heard skip skip skipskipskip skip skip. the muffler hanger donuts failed, I had to employ the hack mechanic "kludge" on the side of the road.

IMG_1801 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

but at least I was able to tie it up. my dad was resourceful and liked the challenge of fixing things quickly (if not a little inelegantly) and I cherish that gift he gave me, when something breaks I just know I can fix it.

I ordered tires for the mobsteel artillery wheels and have been trading emails on the gauges, so even though the truck sits untouched, I have been making deals.

Fine 52 ya got there. My thoughts ran with a mid 70's one ton chassis under there. That front clip is cool. :cool:

I remember dad fixing a muffler with a tin coffee can and coat hangers in the 60's. Quieted things right down :D

well Burg when I get the truck you can have the front end! [cl

OI I havent been lucky with rust repair until now. they all need something, and its always a lot more than I first thought. [S

stabbed the distributor. I went 8 3/4 and could have gone 9.5. duly noted. heater hoses hooked up and cruise mounted too.

IMG_1940 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1949 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

s10 guys listen up. The front and rear shock mounts use a speed nut on the back side, which always seem to break on removal no matter how careful you are with penetrant and holding your tongue right. the dorman replacements dont fit, they get in the way of the shock and spin too much in the hole which can be a real pain to tighten. even the bolts are special, with a steep taper to allow you get them started at weird angles. do what I do, run to the salvage yard and crawl under some trucks.

IMG_1948 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

last time I was there they had a bunch of trucks with the beds pulled but this time they were gone, I had to crawl under trucks with no wheels sitting flat on the ground. sure they sell the clips and bolts in sets of 4 for like 13 bucks, but that requires FORESIGHT, which I lack. better to lay on a spare tire cover in the silt and weeds on a cool autumn day anyway. and a set of 8 was 5 bucks!

after that I installed the front shocks and cotter pinned/zerked everything in the front end

IMG_1943 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

buttoned up the steering, its nice using the firewall chunk because the factory shaft grommet fits. dont mind the brake fluid, I was all asses and elbows today doing several things at once, like bleeding the brakes at the same time.

IMG_1945 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1946 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1947 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

my grille was bent, it looked ok from straight on but the bracket and backside was pretty mashed up.

IMG_1953 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1954 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I could have pounded it out but one popped up online while I was coasting today so I went down and picked it up.

IMG_1955 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

well ok you got me. I bought two.

IMG_1956 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

no idea what to do with the second except hang it on the wall for now.

with the front end all buttoned up I think I will work on the blower pass through tomorrow.

thanks TR, it was hard to resist buynig both, in fact I was in the car driving away before I stopped and bought the second. I have absolutely no need for it but the time to buy is when its for sale.

snopro I have used KYB shocks before and they are really high quality. this is the first time I have used monotubes from KYB though.

I got the ones from a GM A body, they are shorter in compressed length but only a tiny bit shorter in overall length.

thanks TR, it was hard to resist buynig both, in fact I was in the car driving away before I stopped and bought the second. I have absolutely no need for it but the time to buy is when its for sale.

snopro I have used KYB shocks before and they are really high quality. this is the first time I have used monotubes from KYB though.

I got the ones from a GM A body, they are shorter in compressed length but only a tiny bit shorter in overall length.

Is that because you're using lowering springs? I don't recall. I just have dropped spindles and stock springs so I ordered the stock fitment shocks. I'm excited to see how the affect the ride and handling.

Is that because you're using lowering springs? I don't recall. I just have dropped spindles and stock springs so I ordered the stock fitment shocks. I'm excited to see how the affect the ride and handling.

yes, used 2" springs with the spindles on this one and dont want the shock to bottom out.

did you go with monotubes? the handling difference will be pretty big, and on rough roads you wont get that cyclic rythym that eventually bottoms out from the shock foaming like on twin tubes.

Latest posts

Back