Narrowing control arms

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wouldn't have guessed

Wow! It just goes to show how innovative the folks at this site are. Very good engineering and fabrication. Thank you for showing us how to again " think outside the box" and do it safely. Great thread.

Steve

3100 gets an LS

Thought I'd post the next update of the '53 Chevy 3100.

Found a LM7 ( iron block 5.3 Chevy gen III other wise thought of as an LS) long block. The only info I got was that it came from a '99 Yukon.

Paid $225. Felt like a bandit all the way home. Around here a take out 5.3 goes for $1200 -$1600. I started making a list of the things I'd need that a take out engine would have: starter, alternator, PS pump brackets, cam sensor, crank sensor, knock sensor and harness, coil pack harness. When I add all that up I feel like less of a bandit.

The plan is to use the Fitech Ultimate LS. Comes with intake, throttle body, injectors, oxygen sensor, programmable ecm, harness and other stuff. So I wasn't concerned about not getting an intake.

Also plan to rebuild as necessary, cam, port and polish without spending a ton.

Attachments

• 817 engine.jpg
    817 engine.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 817 engine2.jpg
    817 engine2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 11
Cheap recipe for a 420 crank HP 5.3
-mild port on the heads and shave about .010
-LS9 cam and springs $159 and $87
-good flowing 1 3/4" headers
-85mm throttle body w/3.5" intake and MAF (or relative aftermarket intake)
-You will need to swap to an LS2 timing cover and cam sensor along with a 2X timing gear as the LS9 cam has no provisions for a rear sensor.

I believe it was hot rod network that did just this and in banged out 421 hp on the engine dyno. The 121 lca means it idles like a champ but still pulls hard all the way to 6800.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

John,

Thanks for the info.

I read that article and what I paid most attention to is torque gain or loss at 2500 rpm. Every cam listed showed a loss of torque when compared to the stock LM7 cam. This truck has a 5 speed - 1800 rpm at 65 mph. I'd like to be able to pull the overpasses without shifting down, so I'm concerned about losing torque on the low end. I rarely rev over 4000 -4500 rpms. Most of the cams make big power above that.

Maybe I'm thinking incorrectly about cam selection. I'd appreciate any insight.

I plan a mild port and polish, and the 1 3/4" headers. Hadn't thought about raising the compression - that's a torque adder.

Latest posts

Back