19 and something..... Chevy ford.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towb3

Hey all, I had posted a few craigslist pictures in my "New Person" thread. I have finally taken ownership of the truck and got some pictures after it was placed in garage. It is a 38 Chevy on a 28A frame, so I was told. Here is what I have so far.
100_0892.jpg

100_0911.jpg

100_0913.jpg

100_0914.jpg

I think we will be using these wheels after they are blasted and painted. Not sure on the color yet, most likely red
100_0907.jpg

That's a Model AA truck chassis. Similar to an A, but the whole rear section is different. Decent looking cab though. Make sure you check those wheels out really good before you run them. They can crack in the basket and cause bad things to happen. I see a couple bent spokes in the top one...

Holy giant pics. Sorry about that guys. I don't know why they posted quite so big on here. I used the same pictures on a different forum without issue. So, what it looks like we have planned is to get the cab off and suspension set up. I, myself, am kind of clueless to the front setup but will be getting some help from a few sprint car guys, until then, a few questions.

Spring over set ups........ are there any manufactured mounts or am I looking at a one off piece I need to come up with? I have also been searching for spring over setups/builds similar to this and haven't had much luck. Seems like most that I have found are suicide set ups.

Also, with shock mounts. I think the bones that came with the car have the shock mounts on the front, but have been cut into. Where would my best location be now? Thanks for the help, and sorry for the simple questions if they seem so. Again, I will not be doing this project alone, as it is my first I beam setup, just had some questions to start putting me in the correct direction. Thanks

Thanks Devil. I will have them gone over for a check. I still am not completely sold on the wheels but they were a free/cheap option if they are able to be used. The cab isn't in the worst shape. The firewall, floor, and possibly dash will be replaced with parts from a spare 56 Nomad we have. Other than that the only really nasty spot on the truck is the driver side back corner of the cab, but I am pretty sure the channel will get rid of that spot.

Yeah, doesn't sound like a start to a good day if that was to happen.

I welded my shock mounts straight to the inside of my wishbones , with one tab a little longer than the other to compinsate for the inward taper. Worked out great so far ....

We are doing a frame off restoration on it. We took it off the body rotisserie a few weeks ago after completing the floor pan and laying a bit of primer on the underside. Put it back on the frame to get fenders on and figure out the body lines prior to putting new quarters on it. Tonight we finished up with the driver side and tie in the rockers. It is a long term project. My buddy has the knowledge and I have the push to learn/work. Kinda works out. I will have to sneak some pics in of a few of the Rods he has put out. He does awesome work. He has work in Super Chevy mag, and only does it on his free time.

But, back to the Nomad..... It is going to be his dads car unless he sells it over the 55 Bel air or the 62ish vette. Basically the nomad is my schooling haha.

Also have a '57 sitting next to it that has a nice lil drop and only in black primer still to be finished up. I was almost beat when I mentioned how it would look ratted out. heh.

After working on the Nomad tonight we got to kicking tires on my truck. We are thinking about air ride possibly. The rear wouldn't be an issue to setup at all, it is the front again that would be stumping me. I remember seeing a bolt in/weld in cross member set up for air for a similar front set up. I thought I had seen it on Speedway motors site but couldn't find it. Any ideas where I might have seen that? Thanks.

Decided to go air on the rear probably waiting on the front set up. I have a good bit of the air set up on its way, and hopefully should be here by the end of next week. Will have pix up when parts start arriving.

A bit of an update. I have started getting parts in for the rear setup. I know it is not typical, but I will be using a bridge kit and triangulated 4 link for the rear. It is just what I am used to through the minitruck scene. It will get the job done. Sorry if it offends the purist. I will be most likely using the CenPen cross member for my front air over i beam.

100_0937.jpg

Got a bit of over spray. lol. I had extra primer after the nomad was sprayed. So I just did it. I believe I am going all black with truck. Maybe. Haven't decided just what to do yet.

100_0944.jpg

This is the upper portion of the 4 link. I think we will be widening th frame to meet right around the width of the link cross member. The keg is a 1971 schlitz beer keg that was found when we were scrapping the no longer usable/needed 56 chevy wagon parts.
100_0945.jpg

I haven't quite decided what I am going to do for the gas tank. I found another keg that would match. I don't know what will look best....... Gas tank/keg laying down in the front of bed and air keg in the rear. Maybe both standing up next to each other. Laying down next to each other. Laying down next to each other but running front to back. I am going to try my hardest to make both kegs still look like simply kegs. It might be tough with the air keg due to the amount of fittings.

100_0949.jpg

100_0953.jpg

Lookin good. What did you figure out on the front?

I am going to be using the CenPen front setup and picking up a 4 inch drop beam. Here is a link to information on the front I will be using. Not sure if linking is against the rules, if so, feel free to delete and I will understand.

Here you go International.
http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/hotnews/135_0410_traditional_air_cen_pen_speed_shop/index.html

I believe Don's Rods son used the same front setup with a bit of adaptation.

Last edited:
I guess this is a bit of update. I went ahead and ordered the front cross member. I didn't go with cenpen because I couldn't get any messages returned. I got back in touch with Mike at Bad Influence Hot Rods. I liked the appearance and dynamics of theirs anyways. Looking forward to seeing some other products to come from their way.

Sorry to end the pics there. My computer was acting up last night. I have a few more to get up and then a bit of a description.
DSCF2029.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

DSCF2034.jpg

Latest posts

Back