The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Corpo! I've always figured I would replace the inner grill with some sort of mesh or perfed steel similar to yours, but this one is in pretty good shape and the more I look at it the more I like it so I may just run it. Subject to change without notice of course!:D

Decisions, decisions!

I got a great deal on another pair of wheels today and now I need to decide on which pair to run. Both pairs are slated for the rear and I have front wheels in mind to go with either pair. Which ever pair I choose will be completely powder coated in flat black. So, what do you guys think? Remember, either pair is going to end up finished in flat black. [S

Attachments

• GMC 492.jpg
    GMC 492.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 48
  • GMC 494.jpg
    GMC 494.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 66
  • GMC 498.jpg
    GMC 498.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 51
  • GMC 496.jpg
    GMC 496.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 63
torque thrusts on the back with those skinny gasser et's on the front would be killer!

then sell me those slots:D:D

if my original insert was usable I would have gone with it.. it gives it a more old school look than a mesh insert

I like the wheels in the original mock up.. just my .02

torque thrusts on the back with those skinny gasser et's on the front would be killer!

then sell me those slots:D:D

Ironically, I was going to run the Rocket Racing Launchers on the front if I ran the slots. I am not sure about them with the Torq Thrusts, I am affraid they may look too "spokey" as my wife puts it.

if my original insert was usable I would have gone with it.. it gives it a more old school look than a mesh insert

I like the wheels in the original mock up.. just my .02

That's exactly why I like the stock grill insert, it's old school and cool! That saying is trademarked by the way. ;)

Here's the Mickey Thompson picture that inspired the black slot mags/gasser spokes look I may go for.

Attachments

• launcher.jpg
    launcher.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 18
  • mickeythompson.jpg
    mickeythompson.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 42
Ironically, I was going to run the Rocket Racing Launchers on the front if I ran the slots. I am not sure about them with the Torq Thrusts, I am affraid they may look too "spokey" as my wife puts it.

On the contrary, the TQ Thrusts you have are the old style. Do the centers in a dark charcoal or something to take the shine down and they will fit just as well. I would say no if they were the new polished ones. just my $.02[cl

Another step closer to having a roller

I paid a visit to Summit this weekend and got my Rockets and a couple of other parts, so the '40 is closer to being a roller.

I appreciate everyone's input regarding my rear wheels. I've decided to go with the Torq Thrusts. So, I have a little touching up to do on them then off to the powder coater's for some color. I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• GMC 500.jpg
    GMC 500.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 21
  • GMC 501.jpg
    GMC 501.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 25
I paid a visit to Summit this weekend and got my Rockets and a couple of other parts, so the '40 is closer to being a roller.

I appreciate everyone's input regarding my rear wheels. I've decided to go with the Torq Thrusts. So, I have a little touching up to do on them then off to the powder coater's for some color. I'll keep you posted.

nice combo! going to look good!

I'm new here so I have not "followed" any build yet. It took me about a week to go through the entire thread but it read like a darn novel ….. With pictures!!! Thanx for sharing this build and I have learned a few things from it. Darn nice ride!!!

yeah, those are perfect!! those will look geat with the TT's on the back

spokes look good together ,awsum rig:cool:

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. The wheels are almost off to the powder coater.

I'm new here so I have not "followed" any build yet. It took me about a week to go through the entire thread but it read like a darn novel ….. With pictures!!! Thanx for sharing this build and I have learned a few things from it. Darn nice ride!!!

Thank you very much. I am pretty long winded sometimes but occasionally it is appropriate. My truck is starting to come around so keep checking back, I am hoping to have some entertaining things to post soon.:D

Last edited:
another great looking build I can only hope once I start my build this spring i can hang with some of you craftsmen.
the good thing is I have aplace to go to and look and learn triple R is the place to be.
Keep it up it is coming along nicely[dr

another great looking build I can only hope once I start my build this spring i can hang with some of you craftsmen.
the good thing is I have aplace to go to and look and learn triple R is the place to be.
Keep it up it is coming along nicely[dr

Thank you very much 46.

I agree, there are a lot of talented people cruising this website, for sure. A lot of great information in one spot too. When you start your build be sure and start a build thread too.

I have about 500 pictures of my build so far, so let me know if there is anything you'd like to see in more detail.[;)

I have a little bit to report. I finally mounted my grill, which took forever. I made a pair of rods/upper mounts but I didn't like them, so I cut them up and ended up making the ones pictured. I then made a pair of lower mounts but I didn't like them so I threw them out and fabbed up the ones that are pictured. If I keep that up I'll never finish! :rolleyes: I also made a pair of gussets to put in my hairpins. I am gonna weld those in and I'll post a picture if I like 'em. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• GMC 502.jpg
    GMC 502.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 67
  • GMC 504.jpg
    GMC 504.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 63
  • GMC 505.jpg
    GMC 505.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 64
  • GMC 506.jpg
    GMC 506.jpg