The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm diggin' the upper supports! Mind if I use the idea? :)

That's the name of the game (for me too, anyhow)... Build it, don't like it.... repeat. LOL

I'm diggin' the upper supports! Mind if I use the idea? :)

That's the name of the game (for me too, anyhow)... Build it, don't like it.... repeat. LOL

Thank you. You're more than welcome to use the idea. I can shoot ya a picture of them off of the truck if you'd like. The best part is there is about $5.00 worth of materials in them. :D

Yeah, unfortunately I have a habit of building several variations of the same thing until I finally build one I like. I drive myself nuts sometimes!

Finished my hairpins and I am pretty sure I actually like 'em! :D All of these speed holes are gonna make my truck sooo fast!

Attachments

• GMC 508.jpg
    GMC 508.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 52
  • GMC 509.jpg
    GMC 509.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 58
  • GMC 507.jpg
    GMC 507.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 61
Damn Mike S, your truck isnt even done yet and you got signature 40G gloves?! I am sooo jealous![cl

Looking good mike but i think that big block will make it prudy fast :D will be nice to see it rolling [P

Thanks Hillbillie. I agree, it's gonna be nice to see it rolling. Soon, I think.;)

Damn Mike S, your truck isnt even done yet and you got signature 40G gloves?! I am sooo jealous![cl

Yeah, it's all part of my merchandising plan... gloves, t-shirts, hats, key chains, bubble gum, toilet paper etc. That's where the real money is! :D

Hairpins look great.

Thanks Bonehead, I appreciate it.

Ok, I have some proof that I have been busy lately. My truck isn't a roller yet, but that's because I am easily distracted.:D I decided that I am going to run four of my gauges in the header panel so I filled in the wiper motor access holes. The panel is almost done and I'll put up some pictures when it's done. I am a little closer to a roller since I finally made the last two pieces to my chassis. These little pieces slide into the "roll pan" and I'll eventually run a bolt through the pan into the ends of the chassis. I am still making last minute decisions on the chassis before it goes to final welding. I am great at second guessing myself! I filled all of the holes in the grill shell, leaving the top flat as a platform for a future hood ornament. Now, I just need to find the right one. A friend of mine stopped by the other day and donated a clutch pedal set up. I'll take it! He's about to start a cool project and I'll let ya in on it pretty soon.

Attachments

• GMC 521.jpg
    GMC 521.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
  • GMC 520.jpg
    GMC 520.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 49
  • GMC 519.jpg
    GMC 519.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 45
  • GMC 522.jpg
    GMC 522.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 43
  • GMC 518.jpg
    GMC 518.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 40
  • GMC 517.jpg
    GMC 517.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 45
  • GMC 523.jpg
    GMC 523.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 58
So, after looking at my grill for a while, I decided that the insert was too old car looking. As we have noted before, speed holes equal horsepower so I decided to make my own insert punched with some horsepower holes. I used a piece of 18 gauge, laid out a pattern, cut out the holes and pressed in the dimples. Since the middle row lays directly along the vertical peak/crease, I had to notch each side of those dimples so I still need to weld those up. I may add another row of holes on each side but so far I like this layout.

Attachments

• GMC 510.jpg
    GMC 510.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 60
  • GMC 511.jpg
    GMC 511.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 49
  • GMC 512.jpg
    GMC 512.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 57
  • GMC 513.jpg
    GMC 513.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 56
  • GMC 514.jpg
    GMC 514.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 52
  • GMC 515.jpg
    GMC 515.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 61
  • GMC 516.jpg
    GMC 516.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 59
Thanks MacGyver, I appreciate it. Yeah, I have to mock-up just about everything, sometimes leaving it for a few days just to get an idea if I can live with it. I go through a lot of patterns too! :D

Nice i like the looks of the grill but are you sure you can handle all the speed your gonna get from them speed holes you mite wanna pace yourself lol its gonna look fast just sittin there .

Looks like a 60's drag truck , when i was a kid not that long ago (yesterday) lol my wife and kids tell me i'm like a kid but i think i'm all growd up today anyway when i was in grade school there there was a car lot on the way to school and i would make sure that i would walk on that side of the street to school and home everyday tha place was called TOY'S FOR BIG BOYS and there wasen't anything newer than 69 on the lot and all the cars were hot rods there was a 40 ford up on a ramp in tha front corner of the lot and it had a hemi motor with my faverite thing of the car at the time an alum. foot gas pedal man was that kool lol and it had a grile insert just like your and man did that car look kool and so fast , ya i was a hot rod junkie i new those were the first signs of my madness and there is no cure . lol

Looks great mike will be nice to see it on all 4's

Nice..that grill insert has a strong Bonneville vibe to it, I like it..

Thank you very much Tim. I was going for a early Altered look and never realized it until you mentioned it, but it does have a Bonneville look too. All the better!:D

Nice i like the looks of the grill but are you sure you can handle all the speed your gonna get from them speed holes you mite wanna pace yourself lol its gonna look fast just sittin there .

Looks like a 60's drag truck , when i was a kid not that long ago (yesterday) lol my wife and kids tell me i'm like a kid but i think i'm all growd up today anyway when i was in grade school there there was a car lot on the way to school and i would make sure that i would walk on that side of the street to school and home everyday tha place was called TOY'S FOR BIG BOYS and there wasen't anything newer than 69 on the lot and all the cars were hot rods there was a 40 ford up on a ramp in tha front corner of the lot and it had a hemi motor with my faverite thing of the car at the time an alum. foot gas pedal man was that kool lol and it had a grile insert just like your and man did that car look kool and so fast , ya i was a hot rod junkie i new those were the first signs of my madness and there is no cure . lol

Looks great mike will be nice to see it on all 4's

Thank you Hillbillie, I appreciate it. That's a great story. When I was growing up there was a dude that lived about a block from me. He was/is a really talented car builder and his house was always swamped with his buddies and their cars. Man was I impressed... those guys were so cool. I started hanging around his place and in no time he and his buddies were my friends too. Eventually I even got to the point where I was doing some work for them. I am still friends with them and I credit them for introducing me to the hobby/lifestyle. That's why I never pass up an opportunity to talk cars with anyone who expresses interest.

man that looks good!

Very cool grill!

Thank you very much guys, I am glad you dig it!

Latest posts

Back