The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bet you thought I gave up, huh?

After being way too busy to work on my truck for the last month, I am finally back after it and making some progress. I got my bed back from blasting and realized that someone in the past had repaired a portion of the driver's side bed rail. So, yesterday I decided to cut it out and splice in a new piece. Today I spent a while filling holes, bumping dents, welding up cracks and replacing missing pieces on both bed sides. After that was done I started on the frame for a tonneau cover. More on that later. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• GMC 363.jpg
    GMC 363.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 84
  • GMC 364.jpg
    GMC 364.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 91
  • GMC 365.jpg
    GMC 365.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 88
  • GMC 366.jpg
    GMC 366.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 89
  • GMC 367.jpg
    GMC 367.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 84
  • GMC 359.jpg
    GMC 359.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 360.jpg
    GMC 360.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 85
  • GMC 362.jpg
    GMC 362.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Tonneau frame

I welded up some leftover 1" tubing for a tonneau cover frame. I plan on covering it with some 18 gauge sheet and punching louvers in it. I am gonna use hood pins to hold it down so I made some stand-off mounts (my wife calls them Sputniks :)) to position them. I drilled and tapped some bushings then welded legs to them using 1/4" bar. I still need to weld inserts into the frame at the hinge points but you get the idea. More later!

Attachments

• GMC 369.jpg
    GMC 369.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 67
  • GMC 370.jpg
    GMC 370.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 75
  • GMC 384.jpg
    GMC 384.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 385.jpg
    GMC 385.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 71
Very cool build! Like the idea for the Tonneau cover. That should look cool. It would be cool to use some hood hinges from an old truck. That way the hinges are hidden under the tanneau cover and are spring loaded so it stays up without having to hold it or have a rod to hold it up. Just a thought! Can't wait to see this finished!

-Chase

Very cool build! Like the idea for the Tonneau cover. That should look cool. It would be cool to use some hood hinges from an old truck. That way the hinges are hidden under the tanneau cover and are spring loaded so it stays up without having to hold it or have a rod to hold it up. Just a thought! Can't wait to see this finished!

-Chase

Thanks for the compliments Chase. I was considering the hood hinge idea too since, as you said, it would solve a couple of issues. I think I'll head to the bone yard and look for some. I agree with you... I can't wait to see this thing finished too!

Still stayin' after it!

A little progress to report. After beating out a lot of dents, welding up a lot of holes and fabricating pieces to replace cracked, split and mangled parts; the bed is finished and in primer. The previous owner still has the tailgate and has promised to get it to me so I am waiting on that and praying that it is in somewhat good shape because I am officially burned out on body work! I plan on painting (if I ever get that far) the truck either dark brown or dark gray and I thought a black firewall would look good so I painted it. Also, I scored a Muncie M-20 that appears to be in very good shape so that completes my drive train. Steady steps forward! More soon I hope. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• GMC 388.jpg
    GMC 388.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 67
  • GMC 385.jpg
    GMC 385.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 80
  • GMC 394.jpg
    GMC 394.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 92
  • GMC 392.jpg
    GMC 392.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 86
  • GMC 390.jpg
    GMC 390.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 389.jpg
    GMC 389.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 68
Thank you Johnny, I appreciate the compliment and I am glad someone is diggin' these posts. I know some of this stuff isn't too exciting but it's progress none the less. Stay tuned, I am way too stubborn to give up now!:D

Last edited:
Looking good! Nice work on the bed.[P I'm still at it on mine, just going slow and having body work issues of my own, (having to learn what I don't know).[S

Thanks Troyster. There has been quite a bit of that learn-as-you-go with my truck too. Keep on it, you'll get there. At least, that's what I keep telling myself!

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate the support. September 1st marks the first year of this project and I couldn't agree more...I can't wait to get this thing rolling too. Stay tuned. :D

I haven't gotten anything too noteworthy done lately. Mostly been sockin' away money so I can throw some parts on this thing. I stripped all of the mounts off of the rearend. I ran a bunch of measurements and figured out that none of the mounts would work, so off they went. Man, that took forever. I also made a new dash piece out of aluminum and tried my hand at engine turning. It was my first attempt and it came out ok but I'll probably make another one. I'll hopefully have more exciting news to share next time!

Attachments

• GMC 395.jpg
    GMC 395.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 73
  • GMC 398.jpg
    GMC 398.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 65
  • GMC 400.jpg
    GMC 400.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 62
  • GMC 401.jpg
    GMC 401.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 62
  • GMC 403.jpg
    GMC 403.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 81
  • GMC 404.jpg
    GMC 404.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 83
I haven't gotten anything too noteworthy done lately. Mostly been sockin' away money so I can throw some parts on this thing. I stripped all of the mounts off of the rearend. I ran a bunch of measurements and figured out that none of the mounts would work, so off they went. Man, that took forever. I also made a new dash piece out of aluminum and tried my hand at engine turning. It was my first attempt and it came out ok but I'll probably make another one. I'll hopefully have more exciting news to share next time!

How did you do the engine turning? I'd like to try that :)

Latest posts

Back