The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After making a ton of changes to my mock-up, I finally started the real thing. I pinched the front rails 3 degrees and ended up running the rear rails horizontally and square. The rear is setup so I can run either a parallel four-link with a panhard bar, or a triangulated four-link with the lower links being angled (satchell link) since I need the room behind the cab for the radiator. The fuel cell will go behind the rear end. Eventually, I will put angled kickers that tie the ends of the crossmember to the front rails. So far so good, I think.[;)

Attachments

• GMC 427.jpg
    GMC 427.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 90
  • GMC 429.jpg
    GMC 429.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 93
  • GMC 430.jpg
    GMC 430.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 89
  • GMC 433.jpg
    GMC 433.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 90
  • GMC 434.jpg
    GMC 434.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 99
  • GMC 435.jpg
    GMC 435.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 103
  • P1011055.jpg
    P1011055.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 92
  • GMC 425.jpg
    GMC 425.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 104
Looking good Mike. Get that thing welded up and take some pictures![;)[;):D Great to see you making some more progress...keep it going!

-Troy

Thanks Troy, I appreciate it. I've been chipping away at small things lately, mostly design, decision and collecting parts. It is nice to make some progress.

So, I'd like some opinions if you would. I always planned to do the ubiquitous 4" to 3" forward taper on my front rails. The other night I was working on my front spring crossmember and I initially centered it within the rail, in other words, half way up the 4" side of the rail. I took a step back and thought it looked pretty good. I would still round-off and cap the ends. I've included a picture of both centered and raised up to the top as it would be if I tapered the rails. So, what do you think? Too bulky or unfinished looking? Or is it too hard to tell by these pictures? Thanks.

Attachments

• GMC 439.jpg
    GMC 439.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 77
  • GMC 442.jpg
    GMC 442.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 80
Raise it to the top and taper the bottom of the rail up to meet it. It would give the rails some shape, especially from the profile. Not so bulky and "square-tube" looking. Of course round and cap the ends.

Hey Mike, anything happening ?

[P[P

Hi Snake, I haven't had much time to work on my truck but I have been chipping away at the chassis, especially the rear suspension. So far I've gone through several designs but all haven't worked due to packaging issues. Long story short... I am going with a parallel 4-link. It's taken a while to get together since I've made all of the tabs except the axle brackets. My machinist friend cut them for me. So, I've got the rear suspension basically together; next step is coilovers, crossmembers, taper the front rails and final welding. I'll keep the updates coming! I appreciate your interest.

Attachments

• GMC 475.jpg
    GMC 475.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 476.jpg
    GMC 476.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 81
  • GMC 474.jpg
    GMC 474.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 80
  • GMC 473.jpg
    GMC 473.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 471.jpg
    GMC 471.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 477.jpg
    GMC 477.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 478.jpg
    GMC 478.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
  • GMC 479.jpg
    GMC 479.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 81
Wicked biuld i love the chop and i like the way you raked the front frame rails upward towards the front mine are the same way with 6 degrees .

Can you post some detailed pix of the clamps you made for your chop , i like the idea and i am going to chop my roof on my 41 ford , i would like to use the same clamps as you did , so maybe a step by step on how to make them.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliment Hillbillie, I appreciate it.

Yeah, the clamps made a huge difference while chopping my GMC. I did the entire chop by myself and I couldn't have without those. When I started to make them I was having problems cutting the slot straight in the tubing so I made a little table saw fixture for my cut-off tool. It really speeds up the process and the adjustable fence allows a precise cut. Obviously a fixture like that isn't necessary to build clamps but I love building stuff! The bodies are 1" tubing, the bolts are slotted 3/4" #8s, the round stock is 1/4"x1" and the tabs are 18 gauge sheet metal leftover from a 1940 Chevy that I chopped. I was going to use wing nuts on the bolts but it was way cheaper to use nuts and washers and I use a nut driver to cinch them down. One thing I realized was you have to be careful not to over tighten the clamps or you risk raising the two edges of the seam which can lead to a lot of grinding. I hope this helps and good luck with your chop!

Attachments

• clamp1.jpg
    clamp1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 75
  • clamp2.jpg
    clamp2.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 77
  • GMC 268A.jpg
    GMC 268A.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 77
  • cutoff1.jpg
    cutoff1.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 80
  • cutoff2.jpg
    cutoff2.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 67
I didn't have much time but I did get my links mocked up. The fixed-end bushings aren't in since I haven't finish welded the links yet but everything seems to line up well so far.

Attachments

• GMC 480.jpg
    GMC 480.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 76
  • GMC 481.jpg
    GMC 481.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 70
  • GMC 482.jpg
    GMC 482.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 78
  • GMC 483.jpg
    GMC 483.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 71
VERY COOL WORK I just went through the whole thread and your detail on the chop will help me a lot when I get to the 46 I have on the burner.. hats off to ya ! chip..........

Thanks for the compliment Hillbillie, I appreciate it.

Yeah, the clamps made a huge difference while chopping my GMC. I did the entire chop by myself and I couldn't have without those. When I started to make them I was having problems cutting the slot straight in the tubing so I made a little table saw fixture for my cut-off tool. It really speeds up the process and the adjustable fence allows a precise cut. Obviously a fixture like that isn't necessary to build clamps but I love building stuff! The bodies are 1" tubing, the bolts are slotted 3/4" #8s, the round stock is 1/4"x1" and the tabs are 18 gauge sheet metal leftover from a 1940 Chevy that I chopped. I was going to use wing nuts on the bolts but it was way cheaper to use nuts and washers and I use a nut driver to cinch them down. One thing I realized was you have to be careful not to over tighten the clamps or you risk raising the two edges of the seam which can lead to a lot of grinding. I hope this helps and good luck with your chop!

Thank you , what do you think of instead of the flat pieace of metal welded to the bolt and the slot thru the square tube do you think drilling a hole thru the tube and put the bolt thru the tube and use a thick washer and nut to pull the 2 together to skez , do you think that will work the same ??

Thank you , what do you think of instead of the flat pieace of metal welded to the bolt and the slot thru the square tube do you think drilling a hole thru the tube and put the bolt thru the tube and use a thick washer and nut to pull the 2 together to skez , do you think that will work the same ??

Then you have to have a hole in your work to put the bolt through due to how wide it is. With the sheet metal you can have the nice tight gap of a 1/16" or so and just slide the clamp along the seem to where ever you want it.

Then you have to have a hole in your work to put the bolt through due to how wide it is. With the sheet metal you can have the nice tight gap of a 1/16" or so and just slide the clamp along the seem to where ever you want it.

Thank you , that makes alot of sence :)

I really like the table saw fixture. Nice work on the frame, it looks good.

Thank you Sunnybeach. It would probably be a roller by now if I would stop changing my mind on everything!

VERY COOL WORK I just went through the whole thread and your detail on the chop will help me a lot when I get to the 46 I have on the burner.. hats off to ya ! chip..........

Thank you Chip. I have 483 pictures so far including some more of the chop. Let me know if you'd like to see any others. Good luck on you '46!

Latest posts

Back