The 40G

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding build

Man Mike!
Every time I look at a build on RRR I tend to get more and more discouraged. :eek::eek:You guys are unbelievable builders. I have been doing this for a long time and man the work I see here is..... No words. Your craftsmanship, engineering skills and eye for what looks right, Mike are amazing. Congratulations on one fine build. [clI keep coming back to learn, be dazzled and try to keep on plugging away. Thanks to you and the guys here at this great site I keep inspired.:rolleyes: My skills are not up to some of you but I WILL get it done. Steve

Looks good. What 4link did you use and from where?

Attachments

• GMC%20481.jpg
    GMC%20481.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 40
Lookin' good bro!!! [cl [P [;)

Thank you Lucky. I am jealous of yours because it runs! I am getting there though.

Your frame looks like a back halved drag car. Cool!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Dave. I think the design was a little subconscious since that's what I used to be into!

Looking good Mike! Where the heck did you find a 9"er with disk breaks??!! Keep the updates and pictures coming.

-Troy

Thank you Troy. Years ago I found a 1978 (I think) Lincoln on Craigslist. The dude wanted to sell the whole car but hadn't had any action on it so I talked him into selling me the rear end for $200. So after work I ripped it out of the car in the middle of a field on about a 100 degree summer day. The things car guys do for parts! It has a 5 on 5" bolt pattern which has proven to be a problem as I shop for wheels. I may end up having the axles redrilled into a 5 on 4 3/4" pattern.

Man Mike!
Every time I look at a build on RRR I tend to get more and more discouraged. :eek::eek:You guys are unbelievable builders. I have been doing this for a long time and man the work I see here is..... No words. Your craftsmanship, engineering skills and eye for what looks right, Mike are amazing. Congratulations on one fine build. [clI keep coming back to learn, be dazzled and try to keep on plugging away. Thanks to you and the guys here at this great site I keep inspired.:rolleyes: My skills are not up to some of you but I WILL get it done. Steve

Thank you very much Steve, I am flattered to say the least! I agree, there are a lot of talented people and great builds going on this site. It's a blast to cruise through the builds and see how people engineer, solve problems and so on. And it's always fun to see people put their style or touch on their projects. I love to learn so I research and read and look and absorb as much as I can. Don't get discouraged! Stick with your project and little by little it will come together. I wanted to build my truck in two years but I probably won't make it. But, as you said, I will get it done. I refuse to get burned out or give my truck less than 100 percent, so when I don't feel well or when I feel like I am getting overwhelmed or my work is getting sloppy, I take a break and I always come back stronger. Here's a funny story. There is a dude in town with a bad little rat coupe. It's low, loud and killer. Over time I put 2 and 2 together and realized that he lives a block away from me! So time and time again I'll be in my garage workin' on my truck and I'll hear him fly by a block over. I feel a little discouraged but more inspired, so I smile and keep pluggin' away and eventually I'll be flyin' down the road a block over! Thanks again for the kind words and good luck with your build. Let us know how it's going.

Looks good. What 4link did you use and from where?

Thanks Snake. I built my 4 link. The rod ends and bushings are from Speedway, the rods are 1" DOM and the brackets are 1/4" plate that I cut out with a porta-band (because I need to buy a plasma cutter!) and shaped with a flap wheel and/or Roloc disks...except the axle brackets. I had a machinist friend burn those out for me. I looked at a bunch of kits but figured it would be fun and cheap to build one. So far so good!

Thanks again for all of the kind words guys, I appreciate it!

Ah no worries bro you will have yours runnin in no time :) Say what size carbs are you running on the tunnel ram? I just bought a 454 and I am thinkin I wanna run a tunnel ram on this one too but not sure what I should run for carbs

Thanx
Lucky D

Ah no worries bro you will have yours runnin in no time :) Say what size carbs are you running on the tunnel ram? I just bought a 454 and I am thinkin I wanna run a tunnel ram on this one too but not sure what I should run for carbs

Thanx
Lucky D

Hey Lucky, congrats on your big block! My carbs are either 600s or 650s, I really can't remember. I bought them for $20.00 years ago from a jet boat guy at a yard sale and he was running them on a big block Chevy. My tunnel ram is an Edelbrock TR2X from the early '70s. I like it because it's kinda squirly looking and it's tall. If you're interested there was one on ebay a few days ago, it's probably still there. Good luck!

Attachments

• GMC 308.jpg
    GMC 308.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 35
Mike,
5x5 wheels are common...I'm suprised that you're having issues finding them. What wheel set are you looking for? Maybe we can help you find them.

BTW...cool story about the rear end! We car guys will do just about anything for a 9" with disc breaks!! And others things like that! :)
-Troy

Last edited:
Hi Troy, I've been looking for a pair of 15"x8" or 8.5" old school slot-style wheels such as Westerns, Ansens or Dragmasters. I've found a few pairs here and there but didn't get them due to various reasons. I found a nice pair on ebay one night and when I went to buy them the next day they had been sold. Dang it! I have a backup plan so it's not too tragic if I don't find them. There is a huge swap meet coming up so I may have luck there. Of course, if anyone has a pair they are tired of looking at I'd be interested in checking them out. I'll post an ad in the wanted section too. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Attachments

• slot1.jpeg
    slot1.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 13
  • slot 2.jpeg
    slot 2.jpeg
    12 KB · Views: 15
Hey Lucky, congrats on your big block! My carbs are either 600s or 650s, I really can't remember. I bought them for $20.00 years ago from a jet boat guy at a yard sale and he was running them on a big block Chevy. My tunnel ram is an Edelbrock TR2X from the early '70s. I like it because it's kinda squirly looking and it's tall. If you're interested there was one on ebay a few days ago, it's probably still there. Good luck!

Thanx bro!!! I am kinda stuck as the 454 I got has oval port heads and all the damn tunnel rams i am finding are for rectangular port :(

Thanx bro!!! I am kinda stuck as the 454 I got has oval port heads and all the damn tunnel rams i am finding are for rectangular port :(

we ran rec. port on oval port heads for years , we ran faster with the square port tunnel than the oval port and they were the same brand intakes , they did some testing years ago when we drag raced i think it was hot rod mag that did the testing i really can't remember but they tested the square on oval and visea versa and they lost power with the oval intake on square port heads and gained power with the square port intake on the oval heads.

Hope this helps

HB

Added some pieces to the puzzle

Yesterday I stopped by a good friend's house and ended up with a few more pieces to my project. I scored a nice pair of American Racing TTO wheels (the search is finally over!) and a nice '34 (?) Chevy grill. Today my brother in law and I laid my cab on my chassis just to see how it all looked. The only adjustment I made was to raise the bed 1 1/2" because it just looked too low. Also, I am hoping the bedrails will now clear the rear tires.

Attachments

• GMC 487.jpg
    GMC 487.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 79
  • GMC 489.jpg
    GMC 489.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 74
  • GMC 492.jpg
    GMC 492.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 65
  • GMC 494.jpg
    GMC 494.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 86
  • GMC 487A.jpg
    GMC 487A.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 76
SWEET!! That is the same grille I have on mine :) Man this thing is really startin to come together bro!! Looks good!!!

Thank you Lucky D! I've always loved those grills. I especially like how the radius of the shoulders nearly perfectly match the outer radius of the cowl/firewall. I am gonna lower it about 3/4" of an inch and that outta do it.

Yes, excellent grille choice ......or coincidence :D The mock up is killer, always loved Torque Thrust wheels [cl[cl

Thanks Snake! I went to my buddy Rod's to look at those wheels and as soon as I walked up to his garage I saw the grill hanging on the back wall. The conversation went like this...
Me: "Dude! Nice grill!"[dr
Rod: "I got it for you."
Me: "Huh?"
Rod: "Yeah. Remember a couple years ago you said you wanted run a '34
grill? My Dad's friend has had this one for 40 years or so and he
wanted to sell it so I grabbed it for ya.
Me: "I'll take it!!!" :D

Rod's almost done building a bad ass (!) '37 Ford truck by the way.

The Torq Thrust wheels were one of the two styles I was looking for. Of the two I was leaning towards these so it worked out really well. I am very happy with them. Now I just need to decide what to run on the front. I have a few ideas brewing.

Just found this build - thanks for all the photos. This is a textbook on how to chop a top. Great job.

What are you doing for seats?

Thank you very much. I am really happy with it so far. I have a ton of pictures so let me know if you want to see anything in particular.

As far as seats; I like bomber-style seats but they all seem to have pretty low backs and I'd like to run something a little different. I've looked at a ton of different seats but nothing I've really liked. I have access to a full sheet metal shop so I may end up making my own. I'll let you guys know if/when I decide.

More soon I hope!

Yeahthe 34 chev grille is beautiful!! I love them :) I had to cut mine down 3 1/2" to get it where I wanted it but it looks right at home on the front of the truck :)

That is an awesome friend you've got there!!!

Yeahthe 34 chev grille is beautiful!! I love them :) I had to cut mine down 3 1/2" to get it where I wanted it but it looks right at home on the front of the truck :)

That is an awesome friend you've got there!!!

I agree, they are easily my favorite grill.

Yeah, my buddy Rod is a great guy. He has an endless knowledge of hot rods, muscle cars, engines, parts, history etc. He helped me chop my '40 Chevy cab and like I said earlier, he is almost finished with his '37 Ford and it is bad! He's also working on a belly tanker to chase the four cylinder record at Bonnyville.

Looks great Mike! The grill is awesome! I see that motor in the background looking like it wants to play...keep up the good work.

-Troy

Thank you Troy, I appreciate it. Honestly, I am tired of seeing that big block on that dolly...I need to get it in the truck already!

Speaking of that engine, after I got that grill mocked up in place I took some measurements and the big block is gonna barely fit in there. The pulleys are actually be inside the grill. I'll make it fit though!

looking very nice... cant go wrong with those grills one of the best designs..

Latest posts

Back