metal shaping at Cornfield Customs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got this 50' ford in a couple weeks ago. has been chopped and a section started. like a lot of crazy sheet metal modified cars, there is a lot of metal work that needs to be redone. so right now i am focusing on the roof area and working my way down.

making new sail panels. left them long and turned the edges so i can spot weld the inner window channel in place at factory spot welds to cut down on long weld seams

shape roughed in

ready for final planish and fitment

now onto the area above the door. they welded the door tops in the car to make it hard top, the seam was low, and needed some attention. so i decided to make a new skin to replace the seam. again left it long to get the edge turned to spot weld in at factory spots.

roughed in

ready for final fit and finish planish

Much R-E-S-P-E-C-T.....for what you do, man.....
New shop?........Tour? Did I miss something?[S

yea i bought a new shop a few months ago. been busy getting moved in and all set up. still in the same area, just in a 7500 sq ft shop that i can make the life long home of the shop. i will be doing some youtube videos on the new place soon, kinda like a virtual tour

moving around on other projects in the shop. today i worked on a custom 40' ford pick up that was dropped off the other day. lots to do on this one, but today i focused on the head light bucket area on the pass front fender. the fenders were widened in the past and cut through the head light area. so that needed addressed. instead of taking another fender and cutting that part out and trying to re shape it to work, it is just easier to make the new panel.

here is the first test fit on the car after putting some rough shape in

the shape was a little off so had to address that. then moved on to making sure the trim ring would fit right. so i massages the panel to fit the trim

second test fit was much better, still needs a little tuning but it is close

a little more progress on the head light piece. ended up re making the first one, made some dies for the hammer to put the recess that the head light can sits in. hammered that in the panel and intalled the can and trim. at this point the panel is just sitting there, still needs some fine tuning but turned out nice

lots of things have been going on around the shop and havent had a a ton of time to post much so here is a recap of the more interesting things

had to make a brake booster recess for a customers firewall. all hand shaped

had an OT fuel tank to make turned out pretty nice so i figured i would post it. all hand shaped from aluminum

finished up the metal work on the cowl area of the Fiat topolino

this one was a fun one. this 39 chevy was hit going to the local cruise night a while back. they had a hard time find a new door or fender so i was in charge of fixing what was there

started with beating the fender back into shape

mostly roughed out, this was as far as i was going to take it until i could bolt it back on the car

then it was time to start on the new door skin

the plan was to wheel out a new door skin and replace everything from above the body line down. of course when we started digging we found more problems. once the door panel and skin were removed there was a lot of damage done by previous repairs to the inner door frame. so that took some time to fix

as you can see by the final inner pic there was a lot of repair work to be done

putting the new body line in the new door skin

i didnt take a ton of pics making the skin or wrapping it on the frame

then the rest of the came in for me to fit the parts to

started to finish up the fender

and all finished up ready to go back to the body shop ** note, we were not doing the repair on the lower cowl, that is the body shops repair**

Latest posts

Back