Winter Projects

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyD

So I've been off the forum for awhile since my 36 Ford project has been stalled waiting for better weather and a friend to help get my frame sorted out. Since I couldn't work on that, I needed a project. Here are a couple of things I built this winter.

First, I built myself a drift trike. It's got a modified Predator 212 engine and pvc sleeves on the rear tires. It's a lot of fun! It'll probably do about 35 which seems darn fast when your butt is 3 inches off the ground :D

IMG_5706.JPG

Here's a link with a video.

https://6footover.blogspot.com/2018/04/drift-trike.html

I also am working on a mini bike snow bike. I'm a bit late for it but I can run it as a half track until next winter;) It's also got a modified 212 on it. The track is from a snow blower but I totally rebuilt it with new side plates, axles and heavy duty bearings. The original track unit didn't have bearings at all! I'm working on a ski for it now for the front. As a half track, it's fast! I'm not sure what the top speed is but it's faster than I really want to go :D

IMG_5785.JPG

IMG_5786.JPG

IMG_5787.JPG

IMG_5788.JPG

That stuff looks like a lot of fun, a very cool mini, kind of a snowmobile chopper.

I rode a husky 501 snow bike this wi yet. I am hooked!! I have seen these mini bikes with tracks before and thought they where sick. Good job!!!

Thanks guys!

Smallfoot, the track is off of a tracked snowblower. I was going to use the whole track assembly from one side but the wheels in it don't have any bearings in them so I decided to put bearings on the axles. I bought the cheapest mounted bearings I could come up with and, of coarse, they turned out to be too big to fit in the stamped sheet metal side plates that were used on the track assembly. So...things snowballed and I ended up building side plates, tensioner blocks and new axles for the track. The track is way overbuilt now and pretty heavy but it should take some abuse LOL.

I did a quick job of putting together a ski for it since we got a little spring snow. I need to tidy it up a bit and come up with some nicer straps for mounting but it works really well. By the time I was able to get it out, most of the snow had melted but I ran it around on the mud anyway and carved up the snow pile a bit. It is fun with the ski so next winter should be a blast!

IMG_5789.jpg

Latest posts

Back