Wood is good.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like finding little things the factory done that wasn't right :D
It gives ya something else to talk about when the project is done and you tell the story of the restore :cool:
[cl[P[P[P

A pleasure to follow along

Much respect for the time, thought, and work involved to bring this boat back. Reminds me of watching dad build wood airplane wings decades ago.
[cl

Man, that's a lot of work!!![cl

I like finding little things the factory done that wasn't right :D
It gives ya something else to talk about when the project is done and you tell the story of the restore :cool:
[cl[P[P[P

Much respect for the time, thought, and work involved to bring this boat back. Reminds me of watching dad build wood airplane wings decades ago.
[cl

Thanks Gang.:D
It seems that we all like to think about how well built things used to be compared to today but in reality these boats, just like cars, were a production item. The people that built them were not boat wrights any more then the people that built cars and trucks were Mechanics.
Just everyday people trying to make a living.....
Chris Smth, the founder of CC was known to spend his time down in the boiler room searching thru the "Scraps" of mahogany that the factory burned to fuel their boilers. He would pick out the wood that he thought could still be used even though the guys on the shop floor thought it was scrap.......:D
Torchie

Thanks Gang.:D
It seems that we all like to think about how well built things used to be compared to today but in reality these boats, just like cars, were a production item. The people that built them were not boat wrights any more then the people that built cars and trucks were Mechanics.
Just everyday people trying to make a living.....
Chris Smth, the founder of CC was known to spend his time down in the boiler room searching thru the "Scraps" of mahogany that the factory burned to fuel their boilers. He would pick out the wood that he thought could still be used even though the guys on the shop floor thought it was scrap.......:D
Torchie
Chris must have been a student of Henry Ford. :D

Still plodding forward.

Weather is still crap here but got some shop time in this morning.
I removed the old decayed Lower transom bow.(Remember the boat is upside down) :)
I will use this old piece as a guide to make a form to laminate together a new one.
Lots of screws and 2 Loooong bolts.[ddd
There is still some debate as to the best way to make this piece. I talked to 3 of my local boat restorer friends and each of them does it different. One laminates. One steam bends and one gets a piece of wood big enough to cut it out. Curve and all.
Given my limitations I will be laminating.
And that one pic shows the location of the nuts that have to be removed.
Thanks for visiting....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3728.JPG
    IMG_3728.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3729.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3734.JPG
    IMG_3734.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3737.JPG
    IMG_3737.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3740.JPG
    IMG_3740.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3724.JPG
    IMG_3724.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 16
Woke up to this nonsense....

Cut out a new backer board to replace one that I was less then happy with and filling old screw holes. No hurry as it looks like we won't see any open water around here for a while.:eek:
Let it snow......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3760.JPG
    IMG_3760.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3753.JPG
    IMG_3753.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3757.JPG
    IMG_3757.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3746.JPG
    IMG_3746.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 6
Yes, we're expecting up to a foot here today and tomorrow.

You must have a decent band saw to do all that cutting. Do you have to use a waterproof glue when filling the screw holes?

Super nice craftsmanship. You must be experienced.

Yes, we're expecting up to a foot here today and tomorrow.

You must have a decent band saw to do all that cutting. Do you have to use a waterproof glue when filling the screw holes?

Super nice craftsmanship. You must be experienced.

About 10" of fresh snow here today bob and it's still coming down.:eek:
Yes I use a waterproof glue. The chances of hitting the same hole with new screws is slim but the hardwood tooth pics will work well to hold them if it does happen.
Thanks for the compliment.:) I have done about 3 CC's and helped others on a few more and a couple of other brands as well.. First time doing this much frame replacement though.
I have a small(14") craftsman band saw that is really being pushed to it's limits at times. Mahogany is hard so it is slow going.
When I want to feel humbled I go visit one of the real restoration pros that have shops near by.
They tolerate my visits be cause I bring then homemade cookies.:D
Thanks for stopping by....
Torchie

One of the many things that I admire about the people on this site...

Is the desire to help others to learn.
We are not afraid to show our mistakes and ask questions. We all check our egos at the door in an effort to learn and become better builders [cl
A few posts back I talked about replacing a frame backer board that I wasn't satisfied with.
Today I was able to reuse that Backer board to replace one that I cracked when I leaned on the free standing frame end 2 days ago.
A little band saw work and some trimming. Better then before.:)
Just another reason why I never throw out anything until the build is done.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3769.JPG
    IMG_3769.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3766.JPG
    IMG_3766.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3771.JPG
    IMG_3771.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3767.JPG
    IMG_3767.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3763.JPG
    IMG_3763.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3772.JPG
    IMG_3772.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 14
This weekends Progress.

I scarfed a new piece onto the one topside frames that had a rotted end. I then cut a "sister" piece that will be bedded with 3m5200 and thru bolted. This will give the frame maximum strength.
I also cut a sister for one of the other topside frames. It's not rotted but has had a lot of screws put into it. I will dowel all the screw holes and then this sister will be bedded in 5200 as well. Then a couple of thru bolts. Good and strong.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3824.JPG
    IMG_3824.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3825.JPG
    IMG_3825.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3829.JPG
    IMG_3829.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3831.JPG
    IMG_3831.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 15
Finally able to make the 50 mile round trip to pick up the wood that was being held for me.
These planks are all 16' long with the 2 wide ones being 18"'s wide.:eek: Awkward to load and unload to say the least....
The narrow 2 will be ripped and used for the laminated transom bow. The wide ones will be ripped to specs and used primarily for the actual bottom planks as a couple of those need to have a 10" wide blank to allow for curve.
About ready to start parking my car outside so I have some much needed room in the shop.
That's it for now.....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3833.JPG
    IMG_3833.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3832.JPG
    IMG_3832.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3835.JPG
    IMG_3835.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 18
Now that the weather is being more reasonable it's time to laminate the new lower transom bow.
I planed down a couple of the 16" planks and then cut to length.
Laid down a layer of packing tape over the bench top so that nothing gets glued to it by mistake.:eek:
Cut backer blocks and then these will be bolted to the bench top.
Need to get some longer clamps as well as lag bolts for the blocks.
That's tomorrows trip into town.
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_3860.JPG
    IMG_3860.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3865.JPG
    IMG_3865.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3862.JPG
    IMG_3862.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 6