1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the 5.3 really that much stronger than a 350?

My 350 is an '80's vintage smog motor. Advertised 8 to 1 compression that usually checks to something like 7.8 to 1. I also recently heard that the HEI that I have contributes to its lack of grunt. It seems to run out of go at about 3500 rpm. I have been tinkering with it and found out that it runs a lot better on the open vacuum port than the timed port. Also had a bunch of vacuum leaks and other issues. So now it runs a lot better than it did.

But the 5.3 in the Wagon is still stronger especially on the low end. Both have manual 5 speeds and I noticed how much less I was shifting in the Wagon. I believe the torque curve is flatter and stronger throughout the rpm range in the 5.3 than my 350. The 5.3 has 9.5 to 1 compression, fuel injection, computer controlled ignition and a more aggressive cam.

Attachments

• 817 engine.jpg
    817 engine.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 29
I added a cheap and easy 5.3L build and cam comparison link on your other page. I will be duplicating this same build in a 99 mustang with long tubes and a tko500. I will let you know how it does on power.

update

It's been a while so as a refresher: 5.3 LS type truck motor, T5, 9" Ford with coilovers and 4 link. Mustang II front.

The pics are of the engine cover. The first one is the best "before pic I had".
The Ford has a giant opening in the grille to duct cold air into the interior. With AC that wasn't needed so it now provides cold air induction into the engine, via a Spectre inline air cleaner.

It now has about 2000 miles on it. It gets lots of positive comments, but I'm getting tired of trying to keep it clean. With the light interior I feel like l need to be clean before I can get into it. The Wagon also rattles, squeaks, and groans just like they did when they were relatively new. The stereo fixes most of that.

I have been working on tuning the suspension. Figured out that the guy that aligned it set the caster wrong (pas 5.7 deg. driver 3.2 deg.) so it has always pulled to the right. The rear coilovers needed more tension on the springs to get more bump travel.

One of these days I want to get the motor dyno tuned, but I'm not really sure what they can do to make it any better.

Attachments

• rad cover painted2.jpg
    rad cover painted2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Eng driver .jpg
    Eng driver .jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Eng front .jpg
    Eng front .jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 30
  • eng pass .jpg
    eng pass .jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 32
WOW!!!
Looks great. That's the problem with a car that nice. Always got to keep it clean.[ddd
Good to hear from you.
Torchie

exactly why I sold my Cuda... I love a nice car but it Has to be clean. I tried to find me some underpayed dwarfs for that,but no luck...

That's the trouble with an almost perfect car. You're in Arizona, you should be able to hire a detailer for not too much money.:D

Thanks for all the comments. Good to know you guys are still interested.
In reality I do enjoy the shiny paint and all the compliments I get and being able to say I painted it myself.

I love this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They can put a performance tune in the computer which can pick up around 30 horse.

I have talked to a couple tuners. The one I liked had a dyno that bolts to the axle. Which means removing the rear wheels. To get the wider wheels and tires off you have to remove the coilovers and raise the body. I'd rather a roller dyno. And the going price starts at $600, so I have been putting it off.

Jess has had his done a couple of times. Might have some info for you.

I talked to Jess' guy. He has a third party who tunes part time come in and do the LS motors. I just didn't like that idea. I think I have found a place, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Got the alignment done yesterday. The car drives better and makes a lot fewer noises. I think the suspension is finally tuned. One result of this tuning process is the stance. I like the rear higher. It kind of had a tail dragger look before at least in my opinion.

Also got the window tinted in preparation for the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_2614.jpg
    IMG_2614.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2615.jpg
    IMG_2615.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 20
I talked to Jess' guy. He has a third party who tunes part time come in and do the LS motors. I just didn't like that idea. I think I have found a place, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Got the alignment done yesterday. The car drives better and makes a lot fewer noises. I think the suspension is finally tuned. One result of this tuning process is the stance. I like the rear higher. It kind of had a tail dragger look before at least in my opinion.

Also got the window tinted in preparation for the summer.

It turns out that I work with a guy that owns/races a sprint car with an LS. He's one of the special project mechanics in the research shop at work. He knows the LS through and through. I can ask him about helping you out if you want. He's a heck of a guy.

It turns out that I work with a guy that owns/races a sprint car with an LS. He's one of the special project mechanics in the research shop at work. He knows the LS through and through. I can ask him about helping you out if you want. He's a heck of a guy.

Thanks. What I want is a good street tune. Don't really care what happens with the engine above 4000 rpm. The only thing I don't really like is that it doesn't snap back to idle when you rev it (not a drive-ability thing). I think I would be better off having it tuned on a dyno, but i'm not in any hurry.

The thing I am in a hurry for is a steering wheel cover now that we're in the 100 degree season. The all aluminum steering wheel gets too hot to touch.

That's the characteristics of a LS or any other fuel injected engine.
If they drop too fast they have a tendency to die.

Yes. The tuners say they can improve mine, but I don't know by how much. The engine has lots of torque where I want it, runs great, doesn't stall. There's always a chance the tuner can screw it up. HP Tuning software gives tuners the ability to lock the tune so no one else can tune it. Lots of reasons not to tune it. I really want to have confidence in the tuner.

Latest posts

Back