53chevy 3/4 rearend/model a ratrod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

410merc

hi guys I'm just in the process of building my first rat rod model a tudor I'm just getting ready to start on the frame and rear axle here's my question I have a 53 chevy 3/4 ton axle with 4;56 s what do you guys think about using that for a rearend

Gears seem steep on ratio, but depending on your transmission's overdrive and what tire size you plan on running it may be ok. Are you just tooling around town or do you want to be able to be driving at freeway speeds?

Gears seem steep on ratio, but depending on your transmission's overdrive and what tire size you plan on running it may be ok. Are you just tooling around town or do you want to be able to be driving at freeway speeds?
DR is right on the button [cl
I've got 4.56's in my 65 Goat, the tires are 32" tall with a powerglide tranny.
At 70 mph the rpm on the highway is 3,600. With an overdrive it would be 2500.

well most of the time i'll be roaring around town , but ya don't think this will be to heavy of a axle , thanks guys

Those old 3/4 ton rear ends are real tough. Lots of gassers in the 60s ran them. Welded spider gears and all. They had ratios all the way down to 6:17.

can you still get parts for it if you want to change ratio? can you get brakes for it? can you get wheels for it ? are they 5,6 or 8 lug? just questions in case you want to change any thing in the future.

seems like around here you can get brakes , seals about anything you can think of you still see a lot of them still used on farms , but I didn't know they used them on gassers and things like that , boy I sure am glad I hung on to that

8 lug split rim ??? If its a split rim , it would be safer to get another type of modern wheel that will fit the 8 lug pattern ( tube-less) wheel ..JMO

good thinking yankee , I all ready have some, I hate split rims , the modern ones are way simpiler

Latest posts

Back