Lock up for 700R4 transmission wiring

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PorkChopMFMC

Long time lurker here. I just installed a 700R4 in my 67 C-10 and was wanting to know the cheapest route on getting the toqure converter to lock up so I don't burn the trans up. I ride a chopper any day it's not raining so it won't get drove cross country or be going to the drag races. Just need a backup ride. It's 91 model 700R4 from a S-10 Blazer

Pull the pan and post some pics, or send some to me text. 700's have so many lock-up wiring from gm, can't post them all. But can be wired with one 12v wire. And can be wired to work from 2nd,3rd or 4th gear up. You can go to my website on the tech page for the cable set-up. thanks everyone Tobby p.s. I answer my phone or will call you back 24/7

Thanks, Dirtyrat and Tobby. I think I have my answers. You guys rock!

I think I have all the pieces I'll need for the TC lock set-up left over from the Monte Carlo that I parted out to do this build. I'll be digging around in the morning. May need to buy a CC/brake switch. I think the one I have is just brakes.

Question-- All the wiring is to unlock the converter. Right? So, what locks it in the first place?

I agree with the good doctor, the TV cable is the more important of the two. I'll check the geometry for the TV cable tomorrow, also. I have an Carter AFB perched on an Edelbrock Performer with a 2-inch riser on it, so the stock cable mount bracket is kind of "rigged" right now. It works fine for the throttle cable, but doesn't seem to be right for the TV cable. Edilbrock sells a piece to fix the geometry, but I think it is intended to fix the radius, but not the actual position. As this is something interesting, I'll take pics and post them when I get it sorted out.

The wiring is to lock the convertor up. If the convertor is locked up with no 12v the solenoid is bad (stuck closed) and it will lock up when it goes into 2nd gear up . Also when coming to a stop the trans will be in 2nd down to about 12-16mph which will want to stall the motor Or also, if the solenoid is bad (stuck open) it can not lock up at all with 12v. Tobby

The wiring is to lock the convertor up. If the convertor is locked up with no 12v the solenoid is bad (stuck closed) and it will lock up when it goes into 2nd gear up . Also when coming to a stop the trans will be in 2nd down to about 12-16mph which will want to stall the motor Or also, if the solenoid is bad (stuck open) it can not lock up at all with 12v. Tobby
Let me make sure I have this right.
The 12v to the trans locks the converter in OD when it gets there.
The brake-pedal switch breaks the connection and unlocks the converter, which then stays unlocked until the car is back up to OD speed.

That makes sense. Thanks Tobby.

Yes as long as the ground side of the solenoid is connected to a pressure switch to 4th gear oil. But when you let off the brake and your in 4th gear it will lock-up right away. I use a 4th gear pressure switch on the ground side, then a adjustable vacuum switch in the engine compartment to supple 12v. that way it will lock-up in 4th only with high vacuum (no engine load). Then as vacuum gets lower (engine load goes up) it will un-lock the convertor before coming out of 4th. Tobby

Latest posts

Back