RPU, bodywork underway.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Ok, here are some pictures from tonight. The body, over the past few weeks, has gotten a couple of coats of Epoxy primer, and after that was scuffed we applied body filler (about 20 times :eek:) sanded most of that off, and then applied a couple of coats of high build epoxy primer.

Most of that got sanded off too, and today we put on a couple of heavy coats of high build primer that we will let cure and then block sand a lot of that off. I am not shooting for a show car here, just a driver, and I am going to eventually spray it red and then black over that, and then scuff through a few spots to expose the red, as if the sun and time has aged the finish somewhat.

Let me see if I remember how to download pictures. :D The gray is the high build and the black is the first few coats of epoxy primer.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 49
Thanks, guys. Yesterday I was sitting outside my shop in the driveway sanding (to keep the dust out of the shop) and a guy drove past. He stopped, and asked what color I was going to paint it. When I told him I was going to sand through the black in spots, he said "I hate rat rods !"

Right now, I am so tired of working on this thing that painting it with a brush is looking better all the time. :D

Painting cars with a brush is the original method. Right? It is amazing what those people could do back then. I suspect that it wouldn't be easier.

Lookin' good.

Painting cars with a brush is the original method. Right? It is amazing what those people could do back then. I suspect that it wouldn't be easier.

Lookin' good.

I was just thinking about that, how they painted Model A's with a brush and then rubbed them out (at least that is what I remember them doing).

When I had to remove all of the original 1929 paint that was left on the body, it was really hard to sand off. Not sure what they used, but it was some tough stuff.

I just got back from spending about 3 hours in the sun scuffing the high build I put on yesterday. Now it can shrink up a little while I work on the back sections of the body. So, I came home, jumped in the shower, and I am FRIED !! Nap time ! :D

For the past week my son Dan and I have been using body filler and a lot of block sanding to get the rear section of the body a little straighter. Today I was able to shoot a coat of epoxy primer on it, and then, after curing for a couple of hours, I shot two coats of high build 2K primer on the whole back section.

It actually came out pretty good, and I am going to let it cure for a couple of days and then scuff it, smooth it with some 320 grit, and then shoot a couple more coats of high build on.

Here are some pictures from today, I am seeing some light at the end of this tunnel, finally !!!!!:D:D

Attachments

• DSC08176.jpg
    DSC08176.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC08180.jpg
    DSC08180.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC08179.jpg
    DSC08179.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 31
I know it's tedious work but the end result will be worth it. You and Dan will accept nothing short of perfect. Shooting high build indicates you are done with filler. Now it's block, block, block.

I know it's tedious work but the end result will be worth it. You and Dan will accept nothing short of perfect. Shooting high build indicates you are done with filler. Now it's block, block, block.

Well, you are half right, Bob. DAN will accept nothing less than perfect, and he keeps pushing me to sand a little more and put a little more filler on it ! :eek: Me, I would have quit a long time ago.

I have to admit that each swipe of the sandpaper makes it just a little bit smoother and straighter. Not that I am looking for showcar quality, but just a nice driver.

Hope everyone is staying home and staying safe. The one upside is that, since taking leave from my job, I have every day to work on my hot rod ! :D Keeps me away from other people too.

I don't have any pictures, but we are at the working on the doors stage. This is where my son Dan takes over because he is the welder in the family and the entire inner structure of the doors needs built. Yesterday we tweaked the driver's door to get it to fit and close correctly, and today he is going to start welding in the inner bracing to keep it's shape.

Not a lot I can do at this stage, I just hand him stuff and stay out of his way, but once he is done I can start priming and body filling the outside of the doors, and getting them straighter, and ready for final paint.

I ordered the safety latches from Suicide Doors today, and will use these at the bottom of both doors to supplement the bear claw latches at the top so that the doors do not rattle and maybe pop open.

Once the doors are finally primed, and straight I can start painting the entire cab and get it installed, and then move on to assembling and painting the bed. I don't really have a deadline now, because I bet Turkey Run in November is cancelled because of this virus. :(:(

Take care, guys and stay safe ! :D

I just went onto Google to look and see if there was any info on the November Turkey Run, and there was not. However, there was this statement about the March Spring Fling show:

After careful consideration the Spring Daytona Beach Turkey Run event scheduled for March 27-29, 2020 has been cancelled. This decision, while difficult, is based on the facts, guidelines and recommendations available at this time regarding the evolving COVID-19 situation in the U.S.
All pre-registered Show Car, Swap Meet, Car Corral, Artisan Alley and Food vendors will have their spaces and payments transferred to the Spring 2021 show, March 26-28.
Note that these registrations and spaces cannot be credited for the upcoming Fall Daytona Turkey Run.

All pre-purchased spectator tickets will be refunded by next Friday, March 20th to the card that was used to purchase.
Please know that a lot of planning has already gone into this and while we are disappointed to have to make this announcement, just as we know you are disappointed to hear, we feel it is the right decision to make. We hope that by making this announcement now participants will be able to adjust their travel plans accordingly.

That is a bummer, all the people who prepaid will NOT get an immediate refund, but will have it transferred to 2021. Does not seem fair to me, a lot can happen between now and a year from now.

No kidding. You'd think they'd give you the option! [S

Probably already spent much of the money.[ddd
Mt oldest is a big concert goer. So far I don't think she has gotten any prepaud ticket monies back.
Keep up the good work, Don. When you are done sanding that body come on up to Michigan and help me sand the wooden boat.:eek: [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

Probably already spent much of the money.[ddd
Mt oldest is a big concert goer. So far I don't think she has gotten any prepaud ticket monies back.
Keep up the good work, Don. When you are done sanding that body come on up to Michigan and help me sand the wooden boat.:eek: [ddd
[P [P [P
Torchie

Haha, I never want to see sandpaper again in my lifetime ! :D:D

Today Dan and I worked some more on the driver's side door and got a lot done. It had no inside framework, all of that had been cut out, so Dan had to fabricate a complete framework to go all around the inside.

It took a lot of fitting, welding, and grinding, but he got it pretty well done and it really made the door strong and solid sounding when you close it. Just one more brace to add to it and then I can start body work and priming on that door.

Next weekend we will tackle the passenger side door.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back