33 Chevy in Florida...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serrata

I bought a Craigs list 33 Chevy that is basically a shell of the body, the frame and a few misc parts. There is a body tag on the cowl that identifies body style, etc, but there is no serial plate anywhere. How do I get this legally titled?

I can't do a VIN verification, since there is no VIN, right?
Also, I didn't think to get a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from and I don't have his address anymore and would have trouble finding it again since it was in AL and I'm in Florida.

I haven't done much work on it yet since I don't know how the process will work to get it titled.

Any suggestions?

There are at least two ways I know of to do it, and there are probably a lot more.

1) Buy a title from one of the guys who sell them at most major shows or on line. They are sold as Historical Documents to cover the tail of the seller and buyer, but that is a wink wink situation where you know why you are really buying it. That was never a problem before, but ever since that DeLeon Springs guy got arrested in the 32 Ford theft it looks like the law and insurance companies are taking a dim view of doing that.

2) Go to your local tax office where you get your plates and other motor vehicle paperwork done and get the form they have so you can register it as "Assembled from parts". You will need receipts for the major components, like engine, body, etc as well as most of the parts used to build it, and then a cop will come to your location and look at everything and sign off on it. Then you get a new title and number plate that have to be put onto the frame.

In the past I did the buying a title routine but with that arrest I am going to do the Assembled from parts route for the rpu I am building right now.

Some people use a titling service, but I have never gone that route so I can't comment on how that works. Maybe Gastrick can shed more light on this as he lives in Florida too and was in LE.

Don

The vin inspection does not need to be done by a cop or sheriff. Any Florida notary can do the inspection. If the numbers on the frame or body match the historic document you can submit the vin form. Number plates are not that hard to come by. Not sugesting that you behave in a fraudulent manner. Historic documents are best used to wallpaper your garage. I have used Florida fast title no fewer than ten times to get titles on various vehicles. They require no title or document other than a bill of sale and a vin verification form. Nothing shady at all and a very easy process. The cost is well worth the end product.

Latest posts

Back