I hate the term

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand why someone would cringe at their $30,000+ traditional rod being called a rat rod. I've corrected people on that one myself. Rats are low buck - more work than dollars.

On the otherhand, I just ran across this on CL that pretty much nails what Endicott is talking about. '27 cab plopped down on a s10 frame and call it a rat rod thinking that's worth a few extra 100 added to the price? Why not call it a nearly finished 8 second pro street and tack on a few extra 1000? :rolleyes:

Sam, that's exactly what I meant. Take a rusted out body, plop it on a frame, call er a day, and ask 10k for it because it's a "ratrod." It makes the guys who have actually put a lot of time, work, and love into what they built feel like junk.

I can understand why someone would cringe at their $30,000+ traditional rod being called a rat rod. I've corrected people on that one myself. Rats are low buck - more work than dollars.

On the otherhand, I just ran across this on CL that pretty much nails what Endicott is talking about. '27 cab plopped down on a s10 frame and call it a rat rod thinking that's worth a few extra 100 added to the price? Why not call it a nearly finished 8 second pro street and tack on a few extra 1000? :rolleyes:

That CL find just made me throw up a little..

Oh oh, I smell the faint odor of that vaporizer/evaporizer thingie !! :eek::eek:

I have to admit, I have seen RRR evolve, and while our first love will always be cars built with our own sweat and blood, that does not need to be badly built cars. (and it never has been that way on here) :)

The one thing I always loved about this forum was it's acceptance of ALL types of cars and all types of people. It could be called Tripper's Garage, and it would still be no different than it is today. I don't think a nicer group of "friends" gathers on any other forum than on here.

Don

….. It could be called Tripper's Garage, and it would still be no different than it is today. I don't think a nicer group of "friends" gathers on any other forum than on here.

Don

[cl[cl[cl

I can't think of a guy on this site I not would like to hang out in the real world. I've always felt that the term "Rat Rod" was more of an "in-your-face" jab at the the Trailer Queen world. I think the members here represent the true meaning of HOT ROD.

That being Function over Form.

Cars that are not driven maybe art but, they are no longer cars, let alone a Hot Rod.

Last edited:
How about.
Cars that are safe fast well-built and some people will call a rat rod but it is not a clown car,stupid yard art ,or a safety hazard to the world at large?
Or is that too wordy?

Or....Hotrods w/o ......
without 10k paint jobs, 15k suspensions and frames, 10k upolstery
or 20k drivetrains, and 5k wheels and tires........

or maybe rods under 60 grand...................

I think Don has a good idea, Tripper's Garage! Where you see everything from rusty to shiny, and everything in between![cl

How about.
Cars that are safe fast well-built and some people will call a rat rod but it is not a clown car,stupid yard art ,or a safety hazard to the world at large?
Or is that too wordy?

No, Billy, that will fit just fine on our forum T shirts ! :eek::D

Don

Undead Sleds and Zombie Rods. I think I'm going to start using those terms.

I never liked calling my Olds a rat rod because it's not a rod - it's a custom. Rat custom doesn't ring, but Undead Sled nails it! I've thought about naming it "The Undone" on the trunk lid in 50's horror movie poster style lettering.

Undead Sleds and Zombie Rods. I think I'm going to start using those terms.

I never liked calling my Olds a rat rod because it's not a rod - it's a custom. Rat custom doesn't ring, but Undead Sled nails it! I've thought about naming it "The Undone" on the trunk lid in 50's horror movie poster style lettering.

exactly [cl "creature from the black lagoon" [S

Latest posts

Back